I have been using gum trag to finish the edges on all my other products, and it works alright. I was considering trying out fiebings saddle soap instead, to see how it works, but I recently heard that some animals might be allergic to glycerine, and I will be making some dog collars.

So, does fiebings saddle soap have glycerine in it? Is it true that some animals might be allergic to it?

If anyone has had any experiences with this, that would be very helpful.

Also, as always, if there are any better/safer methods, feel free to advise!

Thanks

Zayne

You can get a pretty good edge using bees wax and a little water. Very little water. I sometimes just lik the edge then add the wax and burnish , I know yuk but it works for me . Gary

Yes, beeswax will certainly leave a nice edge. Just remember you can not dye OVER the wax so make sure the wax is your final step.

I use a blend of 50% bees wax and 50% paraffin wax which works well for me.

Cya!

Bob

I use a blend of 50% bees wax and 50% paraffin wax which works well for me.

Cya!

Bob

Ive heard of this before. What is the purpose of the paraffin?

thanks,

Zayne

Yes, beeswax will certainly leave a nice edge. Just remember you can not dye OVER the wax so make sure the wax is your final step.

How is it that you apply the wax?

Thanks,

Zayne

You can get a pretty good edge using bees wax and a little water. Very little water. I sometimes just lik the edge then add the wax and burnish , I know yuk but it works for me . Gary

I just use a chunk of beeswax and rub it straight on the edges. I then use a piece of canvas to slick it a bit better. Finally I use my edge slicker for the final touch up.

Paraffin wax is a little harder than beeswax and is a bit cheaper. I have used that blend as well. I don't know the real reason people blend it, but as an ex candle maker I would assume the beeswax/paraffin mixture seeps in nicely and then hardens as well because paraffin is solid when set.

The waxes are blended to change the melting point. Bees Wax melts around 115F and Paraffin is higher. Soy wax goes from 115 to 135F depending on which blend of soy wax. When I put my items in the sun to dry, they get too hot for bees wax so the Paraffin and/or soy wax raises the melting point.

Cya!

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

i just wet my edges on the collars i make use my slicker then apply fiebings edge kote works a treat if you have a look on my post i have just put up showing a few of my collars you can see the result you get cheers kev

All dog collars I do (which is not a lot) are finished with Resolene, . . . with special emphasis on the backs and edges.

Have never had any problems with it, . . . I do "everything" else before the resolene, including slicking/burnishing the edges. That makes a hard edge that looks really good too.

May God bless,

Dwight