cgleathercraft

E.c. Stearns & Co. Harness Rivet Press Question

Any idea what rivets I need for this setter? I did some research online and all I could find was that it was a Harness Rivet Setter.

By the looks of the post it look like tubular rivets??? :dunno:

post-39990-0-36565800-1404355354_thumb.j

post-39990-0-52688300-1404355353_thumb.j

I like this one. Looks like it make do two different steps or two different style/sizes at a time. It does look like other tubular dies i have seen.

Bro Timothy

I have some tubular rivets on the way. Thought it was worth trying for $7. the opposite end needs a little work tho. part of it has been rounded off from what looks like excessive force with repeated heavy use. I'll file it down a little to smooth it over. I'll skip the grinding wheel tho, don't want to damage the strength if I don't have to.

Looking at the anvil in the second photo.. We use a different setter but with the same anvil. The rivet that we use looks like a tubular rivet but is solid halfway up from the head and a flat washer is also used..Hope this helps you out..

Ugh, i was wiping off the dust and grime and found a hairline crack at the base. It can be seen about 1/3 of the way from the right in the picture. Looks like I will only be using this for very light duty applications.

I guess that this is to late to ask but did you find the right rivets to use with your press? I have one just like yours and was wondering what rivets to use myself.

Nope. The anvil looks to take some form of tubular rivet. However the post on mine is worn at an angle and would most likely damage or set a rivet incorrectly. I haven't taken the time to repair it. Therefore, no research into what rivets I (we) need. Sorry!