Ken Cook

Alligator, Can I Glue This Flat?

I am going to make myself a new wallet and want to use this gator hide I just bought. I'd like to use the head area but it will go into the shoulder/leg area of the hide. I may need to use a flatter area, like behind the shoulder. It would make more waste in the long run.

Do you think I can glue it flat. I have used rubber cement on a pound-o-board to line things up in the past but I don't know if it will last once it is permanently glued to the backing.

What do you guys think. Any and all thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Ken

post-28309-0-89129700-1404666902_thumb.j

post-28309-0-89704800-1404667041_thumb.j

post-28309-0-93745400-1404667076_thumb.j

Are you going to sew it? Because I wouldn't trust the glue to do more than hold it in place while you sew it. Also it seems to me thickness is going to be an issue. Unless you have some 1 oz veg tanned leather to sew it to and to make the cc holders out of, etc. I mean I'm sure gator wallets are made all the time but these are just two concerns I would have before I started the project. I glued some hair-on-hide to regular, maybe 5 oz veg tanned once to make a bracelet and as soon as I curved it the HOH came loose. I should have skived it and sewn it. Cheryl

It's not very thick. Just a little heaver than the pig skin used for interiors about 1/16". I'm no good on the ounce thing. It is also very smooth on the back, not like I have read while doing research.

I've been using Barge Contact Cement. I have never seen it turn loose.

It would have at least 3 layers of pig skin glued and sewed.

Full Liner glues everywhere, then zipper pouch on one side, C Cards on the other glued around the edges = 3 layers glued.

I'm just concerned it will be wavy on those corners. It will lay flat if I hold it all down. I know it will work if I use the flatter section behind the legs and it would look cool, but I like all the different patterns in the section forward of the legs.

I didn't realize it was so thin. I guess I would still be afraid of the pockets since they're not going to be sewn but I am a worrier. I worry so much about every new project it prevents me starting it. I, like you do love the head area. Cheryl

If you're asking if you'll be able the stretch those leg areas flat to incorporate them, without wrinkling up the skin in the center, then probably not.

As long as the flesh side of the alligator has been properly processed then you will get a bond as good as cowhide flesh to flesh. If the flesh side of the gator is real loose and fuzzy, then get a sanding block and remove the excess from the flesh side.

But, you will need to go ahead and select a rectangular area that doesn't depend on those leg areas laying flat-they won't without making wrinkles.

Ok, I have been playing around with it some more. I can see there is no way it will lay flat like I had hoped.

I think I will try trimming out the fold and sewing it back together from the inside. I've seen it done to repair bullet holes in buckskin.

If it doesn't work I will have the other side of the wavy area to work with.

Thanks for the reply's,

Ken

You could make a veg-tan wallet with the part of the gator hide you like best as an inlay over most of the outer layer.

Thanks,

Michelle