Mark Moss

Need Help With Stitch On Backside Of My Belts

I am having some difficulty with the stiching on the back side of the belts I am making. I use two 6/7 oz pieces of veg tan leather on a Cobra 4 machine. The thread is a 207 bonded nylon thread in the needle and bobin. The needle is a 180/24 that came with the machine. The top stiches always look fine but often on the backside of the belt the stiches become iregular looking and after several iregular stiches, they go back to looking normal. I tried making the stitches longer but had no success. I believe it is only cosmetic, but I wold like to improve the look to be more like the front of the belt and stop the irregular pattern. I am very new to using a machine and appreciate any and all suggestions. The attached photo shows shows an area of a recent belt that had the back side stiches start getting irregular.

Thanks.

Mark post-49046-0-58066400-1404695964_thumb.j

Are you keeping the belt flat so the needle is always perpendicular to the surface of the leather? It looks like you may have tipped the belt to one side now and then while feeding it.

Tom

Hi Tom

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not use the table attachment, I just feed it over the arm, so the belt does bend while I am stitching. Perhaps I should use the table attachment that came with the machine?

Edited by Mark Moss

Al Bane always tells me to start with the needle and start backwards. To me it looks like what Tom said that the belt is moving while you are stitching it. They don't look irregular so much as running a little all over the place. They aren't nesting or anything so I think your tension is good. Also you might try a smaller thread in the bobbin if adding the table attachment doesn't help. If not call Steve or get in touch with Al Bane at https://www.facebook.com/albaneforleather Cheryl

I would certainly try the bed, . . . when I added one to my Tippmann Boss, . . . EVERYTHING started looking better on the back. :cowboy:

There are times I cannot use it for a certain project, . . . but the 90% or so that I do use it on, . . . it looks SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

Then I mounted my Boss so that after sewing, . . . it has a 60 inch table to go out and lay on, . . . it got even better :thumbsup:

May God bless,

Dwight