Here's something I finished over the weekend. It was my first attempt at triple loop lacing. Not that hard to do but for some reason I kept messing up the corners. I really like the rest of the wallet except it's maybe a little too thick for my tastes. I'm going to make another and line it with pigskin behind the pockets next time to see if that might make it less bulky. Might also try one with a fabric lining for a little more decoration.

post-15714-0-79101100-1404853432_thumb.jpost-15714-0-61259100-1404853457_thumb.jpost-15714-0-52612200-1404853501_thumb.j

That is a beauty! Real nice carving.

Looks great Bob! Did you lace through the holes on the corners 3 times? I've only been going through 2 times on 3 holes. :dunno: Love the twist on your bud!

Thanks Rohn and benlilly1. Yes, I went through each corner hole three times because that's what the instructions I was following said. I might want to try going through only twice. To me it does look bunched up there.

Really Nice Bob. Love your work!

My first thought on seeing your clutch carving was "Grrreat Back-grounding"

Thanks Rohn and benlilly1. Yes, I went through each corner hole three times because that's what the instructions I was following said. I might want to try going through only twice. To me it does look bunched up there.

Bob,

You might try twice through each of the holes beside the corner hole and three times through the corner hole, I've tried it every way possible and that's what i've found works best for me. The cover below was done using the 2/3/2 technique. Looks great, really nice work.

Chief

post-6362-0-00706000-1404907269_thumb.jp

Edited by Chief31794

Chief, I do like the look of the corners on that. They don't look oversized at all. I think the wallet corners bulge out compared to the rest of the lacing, so I will definitely give the 2-3-2 technique a try. Thanks for the tip and the compliment!

Bob

Beautiful Bob. Like Jan C I've often wondered how to back those. I make my own CC pockets and would like to try that style someday but can't work it out in my befuddled brain. LOL. Cheryl

Chief, I do like the look of the corners on that. They don't look oversized at all. I think the wallet corners bulge out compared to the rest of the lacing, so I will definitely give the 2-3-2 technique a try. Thanks for the tip and the compliment!

Bob

Bob, dont know if you did or not but another thing that helps is that I enlarge the three corner holes or slilts somewhat to accomodate the extra lace going through.

Chief

Your tooling looks great. The lacing looks like double loop, not triple loop to me. I may be wrong, hard to say for sure from the pics. I also would only do each hole twice around the corners. Also better lace (yknotlace) really helps a lot on the lace laying smooth.

Aaron

Well now I can't decide... I Really like the looks of Chiefs corners ( 2 3 2 ) on the Bible cover, but

I was checking out your things on your etsy site and I was looking at the corners on the 3x5 notebook

(Pocket Size Leather Notebook with Basket Stamp and Decorative Border Design) and it looks like you went 2 2 2 on

the corners on that one... and they look Perrfect too.

Edited by LNLeather

Beautiful Bob. Like Jan C I've often wondered how to back those. I make my own CC pockets and would like to try that style someday but can't work it out in my befuddled brain. LOL. Cheryl

Very nice! I've always been curious how you do the backing of those card slots?

thanks both, they are actually very similar to the card slots shown in the KK Tutorial in the 'How do I do it' forum, except the pockets are glued in place instead of stitched. The Weldbond cement I use forms a very strong bond and I haven't been able to separate items glued with it without tearing the leather apart, so it should hold.

Well now I can't decide... I Really like the looks of Chiefs corners ( 2 3 2 ) on the Bible cover, but

I was checking out your things on your etsy site and I was looking at the corners on the 3x5 notebook

(Pocket Size Leather Notebook with Basket Stamp and Decorative Border Design) and it looks like you went 2 2 2 on

the corners on that one... and they look Perrfect too.

Thanks Cheryl, the notebooks on Etsy are all double loop lacing and on those I do just go through holes twice on the corners. I was using triple loop lacing on this because the leather was thicker than what I normally work with (probably around 8 oz total) and I decided to use triple loop for coverage of the wider area. I remember being told that you want to use triple loop lacing when dealing with a wide edge to get complete coverage. The book I was following said to go through each corner three times but I like Chief's suggestion better.

I Love this place and how everyone is so willing to share - problems and possible solutions.

This will remind me to try a sample corner... So Thanks for that!

BTW - since I mentioned that etsy notebook (with Basket Stamp and Decorative Border Design)

would it be terrible of me to ask a question about that? I spent quite a bit of time trying

to figure out how you did that outer border... searching/looking at different distributors/stamps - trying

to find a way to do that my self. I found a 3 point snow flake? stamp that is similar to your design but I could not find

one with only 2 points or a similar triangular stamp to the one you used on either side of the snowflakes? - soo there

is No way I could duplicate your "beautiful/perfect border" on that notebook.

I just love that border and don't recall seeing that design anywhere else.

If you do mind sharing your secret to that or if this is not the proper place to ask....

since it kind of hijacks the subject of this "Ladies Clutch Wallet" post - I would totally understand. ;)

(I looked at your gallery and other pic's in posts to see if there was a better place to ask this question)

Edited by LNLeather

No problem Cheryl. This isn't the exact stamp I used but it's just like it. The one on the top is what makes the border and there is a sample of its impressions below it. It's half of a square geometric made by Wayne Jueschke in Elko, NV. the full size version is shown right next to it. IMO he makes the best geometric and basket weave stamps out there.
post-15714-0-56991100-1405019480_thumb.j

I'm not at home so I couldn't take a picture of the exact stamp but this one is close and it's the same size. Wayne intended them to fill a stamped area when you just need half a stamp but they make a great border! That's what use them for.

Edited by Bob Blea

I burnish the lacing to cut down on the "bulkiness". It's amazing how much it helps. I like the tooling! Very nice job.

Thanks so much for sharing that info. I just love how that border looks, so I guess I"ll

have to talk to Wayne Jueschke and get those stamps... I'll probably send a pic of your

stamped border on the notebook... Soo cool! Thanks again Bob, for all of your help. :thumbsup: