All4Christ

Advice Needed On Purchasing Better Leather

I've been leatherworking for a couple of years now and I'd like to upgrade from the economy leather I've been purchasing from Tandy. Fortunately I live nearby the store and have been able to hand select the single shoulders. But the economy quality is not acceptable for some of the finer leather projects I want to do now. They do have premium leathers but they seem to be a bit expensive and not much to choose from on sizes. I'd like to make some higher quality wallets, bags, purses. I'm just not impressed with the selection of leather at Tandy anymore.

So I actually have to confess I feel I don't really know what I'm doing when it come to selecting quality leather. Is there a supplier that will sell single shoulders of higher quality. Most of what I'm seeing is double shoulders or full sides. I just don't need or can afford that much at one time at the moment. I'm looking for leather to makes wallets. I've been using 4-5 oz but that still seems to be a bit thick. The splits at tandy that I wanted to use for the wallet guts appear low quality as well. What can you suggest in smaller quantities? I'd love to be able to try some bridle leather but its way too thick and I don't have a splitter. Is there a company that any of you guys use that can help an inexperienced person like me.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't list a location. Anyway, certainly Springfield (SLC) is pretty good at cutting you a small(ish) piece - you don't need to buy the cow :)

Price-wise, I don't think there are any 'breaks'. Hermann Oak leather is usually pretty good quality for carving and forming. Most of my carved wallets are from Tandy's "Royal Meadow" 3/4 oz. I don't buy much else there, but at about $8/ft it carves nicely and I like the pale color (the lightest HO is 3 shades darker than this stuff).

You're right about the pic spits - not great. Still, it does get used, and most of those "kits" include that same stuff. Not much strain on wallet guts, so if you're lacing edges it might be okay. Doesn't burnish, though, so stitched edges would look rough.

Thanks for the reply JL and Joe! I'm in the northeast USA. I'm hand stitching now. I really like the English saddle stitch and the work that Nigel Armitage does, so much so I sacrificed some comforts to get my hands on a Dixon pricking iron. The tandy glazed splits look horrid as a finished product. Not picking on Tandy, if not for them I wouldn't have ever tried this. I was looking at RJF leather. I haven't called him yet but will they split the leather and sell single shoulders you think?

I'm perhaps not RJF's best 'witness', so perhaps someone else can help with that.

When you mentioned Tandy's "wallet guts" splits, I thought you were talking about that "mission grain" stuff. I have used it a couple of times as glued-in lining for a notebook (it was for a school-age kid, so something that WIPES OFF :) ).

I know wickett & craig offer a splitting service but not sure about RJF.

Wherein the north east? I have lots of bridle bellies, and a big splitter... I can maybe help ya outim in nh

Here's a calfskin that would be good for wallets.

I use this all the time. I have probably ordered nealy 20 hides in the last 6 months; I did receive one order that was unusable, but they quickly refunded and didn't even make me send back the junk.

The prices look really good for the amount. Thank you so much for your reply guys. I will use them. I'll let ya know it turns out.

Have to punch in for Springfield Leather as well, they sell Hermann Oak, in any increment you want from 2 sq ft to full sides, will take it from whatever area of the hide you want, and will split it to any thickness you need. Their prices are competitive and the Leather is pretty good, Grade A Hermann Oak would be better but I don't know of anywhere you can get that with anything other than full sides or shoulders, etc, and the cost is pretty high, the difference I've found in the Grade B that Springfield sells is that you get a little more waste (a few spots that have imperfections), but you can be creative when laying out projects and get what you want. When you buy their Grade B in sq ft quantities (2,3,4...10, 12) etc, they normally try to take that from a good looking area of the hide.

I've tried RJF, wasn't happy with it, for lots of reasons, but I'll stay with Hermann Oak, it's been a major player in leather tanning for over 100 years.

Chief

When I started I would buy all kinds of leather from several internet sources but I have to agree with Chief on Springfield leather. That has become the place I buy a majority of my leather from now.

If you are a business they will switch you over to their wholesale pricing upon providing your tax id for no extra cost. I buy a lot of Hermann Oak from them and even though it is Grade B it tends to be better than most of the shoulders you find everywhere else.

my 2 cents

and with Springfield you get a discount with your membership!

Do yourself a favor and call rjf leather. i was able to go to his warehouse and hand pick the double shoulder i wanted. all his leather is top notch! he had some double shoulder splits ready to go. walked out of there with a 11 square foot double for 62$.

The main problem is not a lot of places carry high quality veg tan (ie. the english bridle you want to try out) in thinner sizes (4/5oz and below) that are in small quantities. Places like Wickett & Craig will split and re-finish your order to whatever thickness you want however you need to purchase a full side and its not cheap.

Hey everyone! I'm in sort of a similar situation - I've been using Tandy leather for the past year which is when I started doing leatherwork. The past 3-4 months I've been pretty disappointed in their leather selection, especially the 2/3 oz. I pretty much only use 3/4 oz and 2/3 oz of the Craftsman Oak, so I'm looking for a Tandy replacement. I've heard really good things about Hide and Leather House, but I'm in Utah so unfortunately I can't go and check out their stuff. Anyone have experience with their thinner leathers and were satisfied with it? I would LOVE any advice on even other companies that might be good and if anyone's worked with Hidehouse what they thought of the leather.

Thanks!