RMB Custom Leather

Multi Mold Pro Series - Feedback From Leather Holster Makers Needed

I spoke to Tony the owner of Multi Molds and he mentioned that his molds could be used for leather holsters also. As you may already know the molds are made with some extra material that is needed when pressing holsters out of kydex but not really needed when using them for leather holsters. Tony is very receptive to change so if he can offer a product that could be used by leatherworkers more then he plans to look into it.

I am not a firearm expert so if I used the incorrect terminology, please forgive me.

The material Multi Molds have that most other molds don't are: (Below are some pictures of a multi mold versus a Blueguns.)

Sight Channel: This is a piece of material that runs from the back sight to the front site that insures that a channel is made in the material so the front sight can travel from the bottom of the holster to the top freely when removing the gun.

Trigger Housing Blocked Out: This is the area where the trigger is located, it needs to be filled in so when molding with kydex it doesn't form around the trigger creating a safety issue when trying to remove/insert the gun.

Ejection Port Blocked Out: This is the part on the slide that the spent rounds eject from after a round is fired. During pressing a holster out of kydex if this area isn't blocked out the material forms to the indention creating a hang up when trying to remove the gun from the holster.

What would you want removed from the multi mold in order to use them for leather holster making?

What would you want to keep on the multi mold to be used for leather holster making?

Please comment and I will forward them to Tony so he can look into possible changes in the future.

Multi Mold

ed1bc8b7-f083-45f6-95f9-9803b45dc9ea_zps

Bluegun

c655bb21-bdc2-4685-b0c8-1ba7a67e5eb7_zps

Edited by RMB Custom Leather

Rob, I may have missed some of this conversation. Are you retailing Multi Mold guns? And, if so, what is your price including shipping? Their price is $59.95 plus shipping. Nothing unusual but I am confused.

I don't detail mold so I cannot address your request. However, I think the sight channel should stay.

Red Cent,

Good question yes we have added them as a mold manufacturer. At present they have two models a "Standard" which is $59.95 plus shipping and what we stock which is the "Pro Series" which is $67.95 plus shipping here is the link for the Pros Series on their site http://shop.multimoldguns.com/Multi-Mold-Weapons-Pro-Series-MMWP.htm?categoryId=1 . They have announced that they are going to reorganize some things so the pricing may change but as of the time of the post that is their pricing posted on their site. A short explanation on the difference between "Standard" and "Pro Series" is that the Pro Series is much stronger material.

Our pricing is $66.99 Free Shipping but offer the bulk discount which drops the price to as much as $60.29 Free Shipping if you get 8 +. We only stock the Pro Series.

Since you don't do the detailed molding it may not really matter to much to you as far as the feedback the posting is asking for but any feedback is good.

Red Cent, on 12 Jul 2014 - 3:41 PM, said:

Rob, I may have missed some of this conversation. Are you retailing Multi Mold guns? And, if so, what is your price including shipping? Their price is $59.95 plus shipping. Nothing unusual but I am confused.

I don't detail mold so I cannot address your request. However, I think the sight channel should stay.

Edited by RMB Custom Leather

I think most like myself would like to keep the sight channel but have the ejection port and the material in front of the trigger open like the Blueguns. The reason is to achieve retention when using leather mainly due to how pliable the leather is. I am sure there are several ways to achieve more retention with leather without what I just mentioned but that is my 2 cents on it.

I like forming the leather into the ejection port, so having the ejection port filled is a deal killer for me personally. I could do without the inside of the trigger guard filled in as well.

Paul

The prices will matter to me. If you are keeping Ring's blue guns @ $47.99 including shipping I don't have a reason to buy Multi Mold. In my case, they do not have a NM Vaquero or a Colt SAA, or a 1911. As a SASS holster maker including the leather for Wild Bunch competition, these are ones I use the most.

Hope the retail endeavor does well.

I agree with you

I like forming the leather into the ejection port, so having the ejection port filled is a deal killer for me personally. I could do without the inside of the trigger guard filled in as well.

Paul

Your right. In your case BLUEGUNS is probably the way to go due to the items you make.

The prices will matter to me. If you are keeping Ring's blue guns @ $47.99 including shipping I don't have a reason to buy Multi Mold. In my case, they do not have a NM Vaquero or a Colt SAA, or a 1911. As a SASS holster maker including the leather for Wild Bunch competition, these are ones I use the most.

Hope the retail endeavor does well.

I think the niche on multi molds is full kydex holsters. They do seem perfect for them. For leather and hybrids I prefer the Rings. I partially fill in the ports myself, but don't want them gone completely. I like to bone in some detail there and need some impression. And I prefer a partial sight channel on my leather and hybrids. Since I do flat backs it helps keep the gun from moving front to back. With the thinner guns a full sight channel can lead to them getting loose. Particularly with hybrids. They want to move up info the sight channel area. So I mold all the way to the frame on the top 1/4 or so of the front. Locks them in tight.

Multi Molds' focus clientele is the kydex holster maker market. Really, they offer little to the leather holstersmith compared to Rings, ASP, Duncan's or Bunkhouse Tools; especially considering their comparative cost. However, no one effectively addresses the market for revolver dummy guns. There is an opportunity...

I'm not sure what to think about the sight rail. It would save about 60 seconds, but I like being able to use different sized dowel rods for different sized sights, etc.

I would definitely want the ejection port and trigger guard to NOT be filled in. I guess I'd prefer not to have the sight rail either, when it comes right down to it.

I really like that Multi-Mold makes models that Ring's doesn't, but not being able to mold the trigger guard or ejection port has always been a deal breaker for me.

I have one of the multi molds for a Sig 1911 and the first thing I had to do was remove material from the ejection port and trigger areas. I really like the mold and would buy more of them if it weren't for having to remove that material myself. The areas that need to be blocked off for working kydex are the exact areas that a leather worker needs to mold to help with retention. Just my 2 cents.

Personally I'd prefer they be made mostly like Ring's in the sense that they emulate the real gun. For me that's the reason I haven't bought any so far too much work fixing them to work with my process. I'd say most guys who've worked with the other guns on the market have their own ways of dealing with those issues and would rather do it themselves or at least that's how I see it. Only other suggestion would be target some of the oddball guns that no one makes a dummy gun for. IE HK P7 PSP and the Colt revolvers for instance, but I'd stick to those type of guns that are fairly popular but not supported by Ring's and lesser by Duncans. Another plus to building them this way is they could be used for tactical training as well and be marketed the way Ring's does to law enforcement etc.

Luke

Thank everyone for sending your feedback so far. I have passed a lot of your feedback to Tony at Multi Molds already.

I have bought a bunch of them and like them way more than the blue guns at this point. If I need a new mold and both rings and multi has it, I will buy the multi every time.

I dont mind not having the ejection port at all. I can still get detail around their trigger guards. But the game changer for me is the fixed sight channel.

Using the blue guns with a dowel rod, I sometimes end up with the dowel rod shifting and giving me an off center sight channel. ever an issue with the mulit molds.

Modad2010, I have passed the feedback on to him to utilize. They have been pretty busy due to new models coming out so not sure if he has time yet to look into it but it was passed to him.

Rob, have you heard anything back from Tony on these?

I bought one for a HK p2000 and really like iot the ejection port isnt a deal breaker for me either and the trigger guard is working well for leather.

Managed to get a HK VP9 and then quickly butchered it to my needs. lol Ground out a slight ejection port, more of the trigger guard, and cut about half the sight channel off but managed to keep it in one piece for later. But since Ring's is not listing them....

What I immediately noticed is that it seems to be nearly the weight of a real gun. I was not expecting that. Quality is nice and not hard to re work if you wanted too.