Sign in to follow this  
daveydude

Singer 660A

Hi everyone - I'm in the market for a leather sewing machine and have been researching for the past couple of weeks. I've found this forum to be absolutely invaluable in my research so thanks to everyone who posts here! Googling "machine xxx leather" almost always brings up posts from this site :)

So, to business. I have a line on a machine located close to me which is advertised as a "Singer 660a" - I don't know the full model number, but for the life of me I can't find anything online about this machine in any of the usual places. I've spoken to the owner who doesn't know a lot about the machine, but he tells me it belonged to his late grandfather who used it to make veg tan quivers.

Could anyone tell me anything about the 660 series - especially whether they're needle feed or walking foot? I work with veg tan but am especially looking for something that can sew garment & upholstery leather - if it can manage veg tan as well that would be perfect for me.

This is a light duty machine made for tailors & draperies.It does not have a walking foot or needle feed.

Thankyou Bob, very helpful.

My other option is a Singer 133K13 but it's hundreds of miles from me - this guy seems to like his though...

I´m also looking for a 133K8 for cotton webbing + canvas work.

As far as I figured out they were originally made for heavy canvas work. The machine has NO reverse stitching and it also has NOT the common triple feed (compound feed) - it has top and bottom feed but no needle feed. Other than that it seems to be a nice one.

Oh - stop - I just noticed that you have option for a 133K13!

The 133K13 is not really a leather sewing machine it is a sack darning / repair machine which has not feed at all. The one Harry Rogers uses is a 133K8 (as far as I know).

Both mentioned machines are not suitable for heavier leather work.

Edited by Constabulary

Maybe a good used Singer 45K is machine for you to start with, they are wide spread and are available as flat bed and cylinder bed machines but there are darning machines out there as well so be care full. But they are quite old heavy machines but built like tanks and they last for decades! Parts are still available for them.