papaw

Old Style Reins

Does anyone know the name of the slit knot that use to be used on the old reins. I can't remember I think you made the slit and twisted the area of the slit and ran the long part of the rein inside out of the bit. Any help would be appreciated. Don't remember but we used these a lot in the 70s.

Edited by papaw

The knot you describe was shown in Make It With Leather many years ago was called Rein End Knot, but it is known here in Australia as a Kimberly Knot or a Gulf Knot , named after the regions in Northern Australia it has been used.

Cheers

Jim

They are called twisted loop reins. They came in two or three loops. These reins were very popular in the 50's and 60's.

They lost there popularity because people would open them up to put them on the bit and then couldn't get them back together.

Lost popularity in West Texas because the knot used up nearly 10 inches of rein length and as long latigo hides got scarcer!

Thanks for the feedback I liked them because of the strength. Wanting to make a set for the saddle I am going to be working on for someone said they never seen that type before.