ClaireAshton

Where Can I Find The Equivalent Tool Or Product In The Uk

There are a couple o' big pyramids down in Egypt that might work. Watch out for the shipping costs, tho. They're a little heavy.

Bill

Mmmmm.......... but nothing like the rip off I just got scammed with. I ordered a Firewind or Freshwind Circle thingy from USA. Not cheap, but stuff from the States tends to be well made and well designed. The postage was not cheap either. So i get a card in the post saying my parcel is ready to be collected at the Post Office Sorting Office (not a post office, more the sorting centre) and don't forget ID such as credit or debit card and remember even though you need one of these as ID you can't pay using one it has to be cash.

So I pick up my little package. I pay £3.20 VAT ($5 or $6 Sales Tax) and , wait for it, a £8 handling charge! ($15!)

That is why next time I shall be asking for someone over there to get one for me and send it to me using the strict cost as the customs declaration so I don't get stuck allways. In this country, UK, there is a TV programme called Grumpy Old Men and one called Grumpy Old Women. After today I would walk either audition.......

Whinge, Whinge.......

I might have read the last comment wrong but you didnt get scammed by the company you bought the circle thing from, but the impot dutys of this country.

A good supplier of some very high quality leather is http://www.metropolitanleather.com/ very nice to deal with and quick service.

Buckles, dies thread etc http://abbeyengland.com/ never had a problem always had next day delivery.

For hand tools etc thread and eyelets http://www.handtools-uk.com/

I might have read the last comment wrong but you didnt get scammed by the company you bought the circle thing from, but the impot dutys of this country.

No, the circle thingy is by windfiredesigns.com and is excellent. Just the costs and processes of getting it from the States.

I ordered a bridle butt from Bakers recently, leather quality was excellent and well packaged. Saving up for a personal visit!

A fascinating place to visit! Give Andrew Parr a call before you go, and he'll let you know the best time to visit and see some of the processes in action.

Why take them and pay to get them ground? Well, they came back perfectly square in all respects, only a large industrial grinding machine can do this. To back this up, I took Medi (off this board) 8" splitter blade at the same time (he had posted it down to me and I posted it back after). This blade was in a sorry state. A large chip missing, some corrosion and blunter than a blunt axe. Caame back fantastic, (would you agree Medi?) I did a bit of work on it prior to sending it back to Medi)

Hi Claire,

The blade was delivered today, and though I haven't had a chance to do any proper testing, I managed to have a quick attempt at splitting a couple of small pieces. The difference is certainly remarkable, a lot lot sharper than it wa! I'm no expert on blade sharpening but I'm very happy with the results!

Thanks again for taking the time to sort this out.

Cheers,

Medi

Any clues where I can find 3mm nickel plated spots/studs in the UK or Europe? Infact, any idea where I can find them anywhere!?

I'm been buying tallow, lanolin and cod liver oil in small quantities from separate suppliers, which is always quite a hassle.

So I'm wondering if anybody knows a source where I can buy all them at once?

I'm also looking for gum Arabic per Terry Dear's recommendation. Anybody know a good source?

Do any of you know a shop similar to Lee Valley in EU/UK that sells sharpening equipment such as fine grit aluminium oxide and leather belts for the bench grinder?

Thanks, but I don't see any belts. Am I looking the wrong place?

Here's my favorite source for tools in Germany http://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/. Shipping is free within Germany and there's no minimum amount on the order. Tools are from various brands including Osborne and Ivan. Huge selection of tools and pricing is more than competitive. Haven't had a bad experience with them yet. I even gained weight cause they added marzipan to each delivery :-)

OPAS fasteners - not a bad selection of useful stuff. Very, very helpful when I phoned them up and went out of their way to help.

www.opas.co.uk

Mmmmm.......... but nothing like the rip off I just got scammed with. I ordered a Firewind or Freshwind Circle thingy from USA. Not cheap, but stuff from the States tends to be well made and well designed. The postage was not cheap either. So i get a card in the post saying my parcel is ready to be collected at the Post Office Sorting Office (not a post office, more the sorting centre) and don't forget ID such as credit or debit card and remember even though you need one of these as ID you can't pay using one it has to be cash.

So I pick up my little package. I pay £3.20 VAT ($5 or $6 Sales Tax) and , wait for it, a £8 handling charge! ($15!)

That is why next time I shall be asking for someone over there to get one for me and send it to me using the strict cost as the customs declaration so I don't get stuck allways. In this country, UK, there is a TV programme called Grumpy Old Men and one called Grumpy Old Women. After today I would walk either audition.......

Whinge, Whinge.......

I got caught by that to blooming post office, and they'd dropped it a few times too!

Looking for UK company making stamps/brands and decent sheepskin supplier. Also looking for equality soft waxy belt leather supplier.

Thanks for this thread, what a big help! I found I had more selection when I lived briefly in England, but now I'm back in scotland my options are limited. I primarily use LePrevo as I'm only 2 hour drive away so it's nice to buy in person and have a chat, and will order the occaisional thing elsewhere when they don't have it. Would love a decent supplier in Scotland! Will be keeping an eye on this thread

Hi & thanks for this post. As I'm getting back into the craft after a long lay-off, this info is priceless. Much appreciated!!

I'm double posting here as there are many Brits and Europeans lurking in this thread.

Can you guys recommend any die makers in Europe or the UK?

I'm getting into leather working and buying a full set of tools. The Pound is relatively expensive right now compared to Euro, so I was hoping I could find an EU shop outside of UK with everything I'd need. I've mostly been looking at german shops right now. http://www.ledermacher.de/ and https://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/ seem to carry most of what I need, but I'm not sure about their quality.

Any advice where to look if I'd like to buy a complete set of mid to high-end tools?

Thanks in advance.

I'm getting into leather working and buying a full set of tools. The Pound is relatively expensive right now compared to Euro, so I was hoping I could find an EU shop outside of UK with everything I'd need. I've mostly been looking at german shops right now. http://www.ledermacher.de/ and https://www.rickert-werkzeug.de/ seem to carry most of what I need, but I'm not sure about their quality.

Any advice where to look if I'd like to buy a complete set of mid to high-end tools?

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "complete set" first of all. So maybe give up on that idea and try to figure out, what you want to make, what you might need and what you're willing to spend.

Second of all. That being said, there are some Japanese shops (like Goodsjapan and leathercrafttools) that do offer small sets. One of those sets could get you started and you wouldn't neccesarily want to exchange all of those tools straight away.

Some of the Ledermacher tools appear to be Japanese made tools by either Kyoshin Elle, Craft Sha or Seiwa - but their tools are basically mostly made by the same factory, as far as I know.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "complete set" first of all. So maybe give up on that idea and try to figure out, what you want to make, what you might need and what you're willing to spend.

Second of all. That being said, there are some Japanese shops (like Goodsjapan and leathercrafttools) that do offer small sets. One of those sets could get you started and you wouldn't neccesarily want to exchange all of those tools straight away.

Some of the Ledermacher tools appear to be Japanese made tools by either Kyoshin Elle, Craft Sha or Seiwa - but their tools are basically mostly made by the same factory, as far as I know.

I'm sorry for being unclear. Ofcourse you are right. I'd like to start with smaller things such as wallets, key fobs, phone cases etc. I know there is a lot to learn, but I figure it'd be better to get a rather extensive set right away, so I get to practice all the steps from the beginning. I haven't really been looking at kits, but I believe I have a basic idea of what I need. I don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money, but I don't want to buy cheap tools, only to replace them further down the road.

I've been looking at Goodsjapan too. However, import duties would pretty much sky rocket the prices. If there are any European stores with similar items and prices, that would be highly preferred.

Leathercrafttools.com has better prices than goodsjapan, cheaper shipping, and I haven't been charged any import duties when I've ordered from them...fwiw...

I'm also looking for aurbrushing sets in the UK but no idea what i'm looking for really