Tinkerton

Airbrush Price Question

I'm taking the plunge and buying my first Airbrush set. I hav the opportunity to get an Iwata IS850 studio series smart jet compressor and syphon-fed airbrush for approximately $200US, shipping and import fees included. Is this a worthwhile deal, or should I pass this one up?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/291192699381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Chicago Air Brush shows the same compressor for $261.00 on sale and that is without shipping or import fees. So yes it sounds like a good deal.

I'm not an expert on Iwata .. I use Paasche, but a quick look at retail prices shows the compressor alone selling for $250ish, and airbrushes generally sell for over $100 and sometimes over $200. Unfortunately I can't identify them from the pictures, but they both look to be dual action, which is the more versatile type even if a little steeper learning curve.

The only possible "gotcha" is that the spray pattern may not be suited to your needs. Some spray a very tight pattern, others a wider pattern, and most can be readily re-fitted with relatively inexpensive parts.

Iwata is certainly a well respected brand. It looks like a good deal to me.

Bill

The airbrush I was looking to make wide spray patterns was the Iwata th line. Its needle allows a nice wide spray.

Edited by DavidL

Very good deal, get it!!!

Been researching airbrushes this month and spent more than that on mine

The spray pattern is adjustable with changes to pressure, distance and needle size

Can't buy a good name Iwata compressor itself for less than that here

Damn!!

Wasn't meant to be

Watch out for the cheapo compressor/brush combos especially from China

I read a number of reviews that they heat up very hot very quickly.

Best stick with names like Pasche, Badger, Iwata

My son and I did a ton of research and wound up splurging for a Grex trigger style airbrush and compressor.

They make nail guns as well and seemed like a good company, but $$$$$

It is soooo quiet! I love the thing

Edited by WScott