Good Morning All,

I recently finished tooling and finishing a belt. It has an antique finish. I buffed the daylights out of it and there is no residual finish coming off now. My question: Do I need to apply neatfoot oil or similar to help restoe the belts flexibility and softness. Its a 1 1/2 inch blank that I used. The edges are finished with water and then canvas to finish off the edges. What products would you recommend to finish off hte belt? Thanks very much for your help.

I use neatsfoot on all veg tanned belts. I didn't on two early belts I made myself and both started to crack where my holster sits because of the additional stress. This hasn't happened on any belt treated with neatsfoot. I haven't treated any belts made with harness leather because they're already oily and waxy and I haven't had any issues with them. Someone who makes more belts than me may have a better answer.

Edited by JoeSnuffie

Thanks Joe. Do you treat both sides of the leather of just the flesh side? How many coats do you apply? Thanks for responding to my questions. I ma farily new to this and want to do it right the first ime if I can.