keithpip

Flap Holster For S&w Highway Patrolman

I'm attempting to make a flap holster for a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I can't seem to get the project off the ground. I traced the outline of the gun onto paper but Al's book doesn't really address making a pattern for a flap holster. The first holster I made was pretty straightforward. I traced around the gun then draw an outline of the holster leaving 3/4" minimum extra from the muzzle and trigger guard. It's the flap that hanging me up. I've concluded that a flap holster is really very similar to a skirt holster only in reverse. The problem is drawing the flap (drawing is not one of my strong points) and getting the dimensions correct. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Keith

a flap holster is really very similar to a skirt holster only in reverse.

Keith

Well, yeah, I guess it is. How will you close it .. big snap? Hook n loop? Tuck clasp? If you're just using a line 20 or 24 snap, fella might first determine where you want the snap to go in the front. Should be easy enough from the way you described making the other one. And if you have the "male" part located, should be simple enough to leave the flap long, fold it over, and leave the impression of the snap for the female end.

Am I missing something here? Once the snap is located, you can trim the rest of the 'flap' as long or short as you like in whatever shape you prefer.

I have done one flap holster and it is one one my favorites. The key for me on the flap part was to never commit until the end to the shape of the flap. I have done a few mock ups of the holster and flap using paper and some foam until i had the transition from the body to the flap correct. This is the area by the back sights where the flap folds over the body. The flap shape was designed to a basic form, but then i still cut it out larger than what the final flap size would be. I then left the flap alone until I have assembled the body and putting the button or snap where I want it in the body, and obviously the belt loop. Once the body was assembled, i was able to put my gun in the body and then fold the flap over the body with the gun. This is when I made my final adjustments to the flap so that it lined up properly with the button, and was to my liking. The flap holster is something you design as you go on and make adjustments during the process. The flap holster will probably never be perfect if you design it while building, but it will be unique and you will cherish it as one of your favorites.

Good luck.

I have done one flap holster and it is one one my favorites. The key for me on the flap part was to never commit until the end to the shape of the flap. I have done a few mock ups of the holster and flap using paper and some foam until i had the transition from the body to the flap correct. This is the area by the back sights where the flap folds over the body. The flap shape was designed to a basic form, but then i still cut it out larger than what the final flap size would be. I then left the flap alone until I have assembled the body and putting the button or snap where I want it in the body, and obviously the belt loop. Once the body was assembled, i was able to put my gun in the body and then fold the flap over the body with the gun. This is when I made my final adjustments to the flap so that it lined up properly with the button, and was to my liking. The flap holster is something you design as you go on and make adjustments during the process. The flap holster will probably never be perfect if you design it while building, but it will be unique and you will cherish it as one of your favorites.

Good luck.

That is the process I used for those I've done, . . . including this one recently.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-37368600-1407019251_thumb.jp

Nice looking holster from Dwight. Mine is not as good, but it is probably good to share a picture. One thing I did not mention on my previous post is that one of the final things I did was to add the rattle snake once I realized that I had all this blank real estate. My holster also contains a welt to ensure that the gun does not go in to far. I also added some additional retention since it is used for hiking.

dtom_zpsd12e74de.png

Thanks to all who replied, your input has really helped me move this project along. I didn't think to cut the flap over size. It makes sense. Dwight: how did you attach the "USA" to the flap? Is it just glued in place? Thanks again!

Keith

Thanks to all who replied, your input has really helped me move this project along. I didn't think to cut the flap over size. It makes sense. Dwight: how did you attach the "USA" to the flap? Is it just glued in place? Thanks again!

Keith

It was really easy, Keith, . . . it's a concho, . . . not sure where I picked it up, . . . had two of them in my "other things" drawer, . . . dug it out, . . . took a look, . . . liked it, . . . used it.

I'm thinking I bought it for a project that fell through, . . . but anyway, . . . it's just a pretty brass concho.

May God bless,

Dwight

This is one I made for a client's judge, so the shape would be pretty good for a Model 28.

tk

post-21933-0-89177900-1407279067_thumb.j