rfkoen

Portable Machine For Putting Names On Bracelets?

I'm not sure if there is such a thing, but is there some sort of portable system that could be used to engrave names on leather bracelets? Although I put all my creative energy into hats, journals, specialty cases, etc, it seems like most of my sales at shows are for leather bracelets. Right now I stamp names by hand and probably lose some sales because of the time it takes. Is there a portable system option that would give me a couple different fonts for engraving names on bracelets? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I did find a process to emboss letters in leather. You can use a simple "C"clamp to do the embossing, which would make it portable. You can find large fancy script letters on eBay or from M&H Type Foundry. Here is a link to see what I used:

http://aaleatherbigb...her Article.pdf

Bob Stelmack

I see the C-clamp being used to hold the letters together once you have spelled out what you want to emboss. What do you use to actually press the letters into the leather?

With that linotype lettering. you can make any number of jigs to hold them in and shape you want, as long as you are handy with tools. The only drawback is that the type can get quite expensive if you need a number of different sizes and styles. You can use a top plate and an arbor press to set them. And they look great.

I have a couple of manual engraving machines (New Hermes/Gravograph) that I do metal plates with. One is a diamond tip drag engraver and the other is a motorized rotary engraver. Paid about $200 for the big one and about $50 for the small one. With about 14 font sets (some dupes) motor for the big machine, jigs, fixtures, etc.

These also use a set of fonts. The fonts are brass plates that you drag a stylus through to do the engraving. The advantage over the typeset letters is that you can take 1 single set of 2.5" letters and adjust the pantograph down to about 8:1. Smaller font sets let you engrave smaller letters.

Gravograph makes a computer driven, rotary engrave, the M20, that places like 6 flags, Disney, etc use to personalize leather bracelets. I have played with my rotary machine a couple of times but haven't gotten the font vs size vs cutting tip to use. It does great work except certain letters, like "M", tend to get sloppy at the points. But it's just a matter of time before I get the right set together.

Advantage - fonts are on the computer. Disadvantage? Over $5000 and I'm not sure if that includes the required software or not.

That's a LOT of bracelets!!!!

You can find all of this stuff on eBay and possibly Craigslist. Make sure with the font sets for either, that they are complete. Especially the typeset fonts. Lots of folks sell partial sets for some reason.

Tom

OK. I went to the garage and did a couple of tests.

Here's a strap... The strap is 1-1/4" wide. "MICHELE" is just over 1/4" tall in a block font. "TOM" is in a script font and is about 3/4" tall. If that script was any smaller, it would have been messy. As it is, the "M" is a tad ragged, although the antiquing fills it in a bit.

Hope this helps.

Tom

post-14889-0-63767300-1406679339_thumb.j

Invest in a 2 Ton arbor press. Heavy but it has a lot of working room and easy to eyeball type face stamps. Buy two sets of each so if you have double letters you can keep them aligned.

Cya!

Bob

I see the C-clamp being used to hold the letters together once you have spelled out what you want to emboss. What do you use to actually press the letters into the leather?

Well, looking at the article showing the letters that are clamped together. Take the letters; place on the cased leather, place a piece of matte board (cardboard) under the letters; then make a sandwich out of the letters/leather/cardboard and add a hardwood board on the top and bottom and use a large "C" clamp and the squeeze the sandwich together. Presto-changeo the letters are embossed in the cased leather.

You only need one set of lead type and you can make any name. I would suggest 36pt font in serif or sans serif.

Bob Stelmack