dkuehn

Question About Veg Tanned Latigo

I'm new to the leather hobby and decided to get some veg tanned leather to play around with. Yesterday I purchased some that looks like normal veg tan tooling leather but I noticed it says "veg latigo". Anyone know about this stuff? I've searched online and see that latigo is not meant for tooling or making sheaths, but I'm hoping this will work as it is "veg latigo". If not, I'm sure I can use it for something, but thought I'd ask here for opinions.

Here is a link to the exact piece that I purchased yesterday.

http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/specials/closeouts/lightly-buffed-veg-latigo/

Thanks

It is used a lot for outdoor and horse riding gear because of its flexibility and weather resistance. High grade latigo always reminded me of English Bridle leather when I handled it. The quality can vary drastically though depending on how successful the tannery is at trapping the oil back into the hide. Good latigo leather should be soft and supple.

Latigo is a dual tanning process though while most harness leathers are only tanned once. Latigo is treated in a chemical bath of chromium salts or alum and then tanned again in vegetable materials.

I seriously doubt you will be able to tool it. The veg latigo is just what they decided to call it and not any different than other latigo. You can make all kinds of stuff with that roll of leather though that doesnt involve tooling.

Edited by barehandcustoms

Thanks, that's sort of what I thought about the tooling. I'll certainly find a use for it. Guess I'll have to head back for the correct veg tan, I think they are starting to recognize me in that store.