daveydude

Singer 45K68 Question.

I'm looking at a Singer 45K68 which I understand is a sole stitching machine with an angled foot. Does anyone know what the feed mechanism is, and can I replace it with a different foot for general work on veg tan leather?

If this machine won't do what I need it to do, which variant of the 45K should I be looking for? Ideally I think I want a walking foot machine.

I'm attaching a photo of the actual machine in question.

post-22869-0-47827600-1406901893_thumb.j

the needle plate and feed dog are also angled. It will take a lot of parts and work to convert it. It's a 4 motion feed dog and it will mark up the bottom side.

OK, thank you! The guy selling it has extra feet & needle plates, but you're saying it's a lot more involved than that?

If you have all the right parts and know how to install and readjust the feed and presser bar it's not too bad

That is assuming the body even has the drillings for the feed assembly and it probably won't as I think the bottom casting is specific to this machine.

If you were in Australia I would love this for my collection!

45k25 or 45k21 are the machine you are looking for. They are identical except the 25 left the factory with a roller foot and the 21 with a standard foot.

Edited by Darren Brosowski

Hi Dave, i think the feeding dog for this needle plate is a two toothed one, there is also another plate for this machine that has the normal two rows of teeth and a small blade in the middle which cuts a channel in the sole. the plate is slanted like the foot in the picture. iam shure you could use this for normal sewing but you may have to make up a few parts. if you are still interested i can upload a few pictures of my 45k and its parts as i tried to do the opposite, i tried to make that plate for my 45k21 and it works (more or less)