luckyclover

In Over My Head...

So, I bought out an old shoe repair shop from my neighbor thinking that I could use the machines for my leatherwork - mainly headstalls, spur straps, halters, repairs, etc. I'd like to be able to do some saddle repairs, maybe make chaps, fix blankets. Now that I get to researching more, I am wondering if any of the machines will work for my purposes or if I should just sell them all and buy things that are better suited for what I want to do. I thought a leather sewing machine was a leather sewing machine (face palm).

Here is what I have:

Landis 12K

American Straight Needle Stitcher

Adler 30-1

(these I thought I could use)

Nosecone 12 Auto Soler

Cinderella 4 1/2 Auto Soler

Sutton Landis 150 Finishing Line

(these I'm pretty sure I have no use for)

Star Co. foot operated riveter

Rodi 5 in 1 cutter

American splitter

(these I don't know if I will want to keep or not)

I also bought a Consew 227 from an upholstery shop a few years back that I have never done anything with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - to keep or not to keep, pricing, machines that would be better suited for my needs, etc. TIA

I used a American for years making headstalls, breast straps and relined a ton of skirts. Their not the handest machine but they will work. 20 years ago i bought a Ferdco Pro 2000 and never looked back, best money i ever spent. I sew just about anything with it.

I've had my eye on a splitter for a while now. If you are interested in selling shoot me a pm.

My story is kinda like dirtclod's. I learned on a Landis 16, then spent several years on a Campbell lease machine, then went through a period of trading, fixing, frustration. I grew tired of working on sewing machines and bought a Union Lock and a Singer 211G ('75) and haven't worried much since. There was a time when I almost bought a 441 clone, to be able to work with webbing, etc. But I didn't and now I don't have one and the world is still turning outside my door! A little more info on the splitter would be nice, I coulda put almost any kind to some use if the blade was still good and straight. Now to the finisher. Since you already have one, I would think about keeping it which is not to say that everybody who doesn't have one should go find one and buy it. Look at a picture of the new Cobra burnisher and think steroids. Larger diameter sanding wheel(s), burnishing wheels, easy enough to make, think about using the finisher like a lathe to make it's own burnishing wheels. The few I have seen are tinkerer's dreams with all sorts of things to try. IMHO

Thanks for the input! oltoot, that's funny you should say that about the finisher! The thing is huge!! It will definitely not fit in my shop and has more different sanding/buffing/polishing/burnishing wheels than I think I could find a use for. I was planning on just modifying a bench grinder for this purpose. As for the splitter, I think I am going to keep it as I know it will come in handy. Last night I was second-guessing myself because I saw a post about someone wanting a crank skiver and not a sole splitter, but I got it figured out now. A crank skiver would be a handy tool too!

You can cut the finisher down to just what you might need, I have about 8' at home and 5' at work. I had a grinder on a short leg of a finisher and I've seen work benches built on just the legs. I think I used to have a vice mounted on a leg also.

You really should think twice about losing the finisher. I had two in my shop (long & short) and you would not believe what you can dream up to do with a finisher. You can use the brushes for cleaning and polishing your work. Set it up with several different grits of paper to shape and finish projects. They are amazing. If it is too big, cut it down. It should be made to be taken apart for that very reason. And hooking up a home-made vacuum system is easy (in case it has the underbody dust bag, get rid of it!). When I became disabled I sold most of my power equipment. Serious disconnect with my logic at the time, and now I wish I had them back. Good Luck whatever you decide!

Tip