SonnyMarrow

Full-Grain Leather Crossbody Purse With Pig Skin Lining

This is my second leather project ever, the first also being a purse for my girlfriend. The first, I had no idea what to look for in leather and let Tandy sell me garbage leather, so it's falling apart less than a year later. To make up for that, I made this new and improved version. Everything is hand stitched with an awl and 1.0 mm Ritza 25 (Tiger) thread. The other material information is in the picture descriptions.

http://imgur.com/a/6j3ND

I hope you guys like the progress and final product. It was a great learning experience and my girlfriend is in love with it. Thanks for looking.

Good job, I'm currently making my first purse, though a different style. I'm waiting on a zipper I bought online to arrive before moving forward. However seeing yours, I think I may need to make a new strap, as the one I made may be too short at 44 inches. Luckily I haven't attached any hardware to the strap yet.

Dan, it really depends on how low the person wants to wear it. I've seen some with a 48" strap that are fine, my girlfriend is just tall with very particular tastes. The strap is 60" before attaching hardware, so take an inch or two of each end, then and puts it on the third hole. I'm guessing the length is about 52" right now.

Good looking purse, I'm a little confused though, the picture says it's made of Chrome-Veg Retan, I'm not sure what that is can you explain.

Purse looks great, sure she'll love it.

Chief

Chief, it means that the leather was tanned in chromium salts, then tanned again using vegetable tanning. This supposedly helps increase water resistance, but who knows. Seems to work well, it already got rained on and didn't change a bit.

Really cool project! The lining is great, and you did a ridiculously thorough job laying it out and everything. It looks really well designed.

@Dan - I've sold four bags with only 45 inch straps. It's true, you might find it easier to sell if the strap is longer, but it's certainly not necessary for it to be long.

Chief, it means that the leather was tanned in chromium salts, then tanned again using vegetable tanning. This supposedly helps increase water resistance, but who knows. Seems to work well, it already got rained on and didn't change a bit.

Found it, thanks. Pretty interesting.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

I ordered it from Brettun's Village, it's called Sunrise WigWam. I think Weaver carries some retan as well. If you Google "chrome veg retan" the first few results describe it and it's properties.

@Dan - I've sold four bags with only 45 inch straps. It's true, you might find it easier to sell if the strap is longer, but it's certainly not necessary for it to be long.

I think for my design, it will need to be longer. I'm using a slide adjuster on one side that looks like a center bar buckle except without the actual buckle tongue so that you can easily adjust the length of the strap quickly. I found a website that powder coats them for you for about 50 cents extra. Anyway, I think I need to make mine longer so that it has enough length to be adjustable. I just knocked out the original strap last night in about an hour or so, it won't have stitching so it won't be that bad. If I had put a stitching line around it I may just have changed the design and left it at its current length. Strap length is starting to become my biggest issue on my bags. On my messenger bag, I made it way too long (and did stitch that one). So I must have over compensated on this one and made it too short. Oh well, learning through trial and error.

You did a very nice job. It should last forever if taken care of, and she'll always know it was made just for her. I hope to see more of your work. So far I've seen holsters and a purse. And, if you are new to leatherworking, you have an inate talent for it.

Tip

Thank you for the kind words! I'm not sure what you mean by holsters as I haven't made those yet, but I'm very close to finishing a briefcase that will be nice. I'll share that hopefully next week before school starts up.