KristenLeigh333

Which Brand Of Portable Walking Foot Machine Is Best

I am researching walking foot sewing machines for leather. I would love to get a Techsew 2700 but that is just not in my budget at the moment. So I am looking at a couple of portable walking foot machines that are within my price range.

Sailrite Ultrafeed LS

Consew CP206R

BARRACUDA 2000U-33

I am new to the sewing of leather and I am looking to do possibly wallets and bags. If anyone can give me any advice or personal experience that would be great. Anything will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Kristen

I'd spend the extra $150 and get the Sailrite LSZ if I were you...sometimes they have specials where they offer free shipping also...that should help out a bit...

I have the LSZ (used to have the LS) and it works great...I usually make military tactical gear, but I've used it with leather (and appropriate leather needles) and it works great with leather also.

Go check out some of their videos on youtube to see what they're capable of...

The extra $150 gives you the ability to do "zig-zag" stitches, which is useful in making bartacks, for example.

If you're never, never, never ever going to sew anything but leather, I guess you could just get the LS if you wanted to...but if there is any possibility of sewing fabric (nylon, etc.), the zig-zag feature is useful. I've repaired more than a few pairs of bluejeans that have started wearing out before their time with the zig-zag function on my machine...

Edited by TXAG

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it. I have a Bernina 550 that sews through bluejeans pretty good (enough for mending) and it will do light weight leather as well but tends to skip stitches so I would like to get something a little more heavy duty. Debating if I should save the $150 on the zig-zag stitch and use that on the Monster II Balance Wheel for more precise stitches? I think that will probably be my route. Thanks Again - K

The monster ii balance wheel (as far as I know) won't have anything to do with precise stitches...it is used to provide more power for the needle to punch through heavier materials...I have one on my LSZ and recommend it, especially for thicker materials...

Kristen? Talk to Cobra Steve ask him to see if he can find you a USED leather machine. It might take him a couple months but he'll find you one.

I am researching walking foot sewing machines for leather. I would love to get a Techsew 2700 but that is just not in my budget at the moment. So I am looking at a couple of portable walking foot machines that are within my price range.

Sailrite Ultrafeed LS

Consew CP206R

BARRACUDA 2000U-33

I am new to the sewing of leather and I am looking to do possibly wallets and bags. If anyone can give me any advice or personal experience that would be great. Anything will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Kristen

Hi Kristen, you can get a good used machine for just a bit more than the price of a portable walking foot machine. For sewing wallets and bags you're better off with an industrial walking foot machine, instead of struggling with a portable walking foot's limitations when sewing thin leather.

Ron

Kristen,

Apologies if you already know, but please beware that walking-foot does not mean compound walking-foot. I'm still and perhaps always be a tyro but the difference is significant.

Tejas made a very important statement. He pointed out that just because a sewing machine has a "walking foot" system, it is not necessarily the best walking foot system for sewing leather. We prefer to use what are known as compound, or triple feed walking feet. A triple feed system has three items moving in sync: the feed dog, the needle and the inside foot. The outside foot moves up and down to either hold down the leather between stitches, or to allow the above mentioned group to move it as the stitch is formed.

Portable walking foot machines are all dual feed, with the outside foot moving in sync with the feed dog. The needle and inside foot simply go up and down. Additionally, these machines rely upon teeth on the bottom of the feet to assist it with feeding slippery material. These teeth will noticeably mark the top of the leather.

Would suggest a Pfaff 335/Consew 227R compound feed for the sort of work you are doing.

I imported some of the sailrite machines from Taiwan and I was not really impressed. For light leather they really do not offer any great advantage over a 1960's Japanese central bobbin domestic machine that you can lick up for $20