JWGlover

Tandy Selling Hermann Oak

Just saw on website that Tandy is now carrying Hermann Oak Leather, but it's a little pricy. Is Tandy finally starting to change their image?

A LITTLE pricey @^%$!&(#$%@!#$

Yikes, that's like $12-13 per foot (depending on the size of the side). That better be some seriously purdy leather :)

We thought SLC was high at $9.50 / ft - considering that HO is about $7.50 / ft from the tannery (and thats "A" grade). Nice markup .. . $50 per side. $50 is nuthin', unless you're selling 500 a day!

Edited by JLSleather

The high minimum order from the tannery really drivers the price down per sq ft. Most people can't drop over 2 grand to meet the minimum order though. So really not fair to compare those prices to Tandy or SLC.

Granted it does seem like Tandy is charging a premium for what they have in stock. They might just be testing the water and taking another quick jab at SLC. They don't specify average SQ foot or whether its Grade A or Grade B either.

Maybe Tandy is selling grade A sides? Just seems odd they would want almost 100$ more per side than SLC would for thicker drum dyed sides.

Edited by barehandcustoms

Yikes! At that price, that better be some REALLY nice leather. For some reason, I have my doubts that it would be HO A grade. Lately it seems that it would more than likely be a B grade or less that they are selling and hoping the HO name on it will get them that price.

Sounds about right....

They are leaving out a lot of details on the listing and just banking on the Hermann Oak name. If it was Grade A then they would definitely advertise it as such to justify the price.

I plan on going tomorrow to see what they are. I just don't see paying that much.

Sounds about right....

They are leaving out a lot of details on the listing and just banking on the Hermann Oak name. If it was Grade A then they would definitely advertise it as such to justify the price.

Yup, then we would be looking at $20/sqft :dance:

I am curious. What is the cost of Hermann Oak (8/9oz) per foot from any other supplier with the cost of shipping factored in? If I can get the Hermann Oak from my local Tandy store for $275 per side (Elite Club price). How does that compare to others with the cost of shipping added in. At least I get to choose the side I want.

I will stop by my local Tandy store tomorrow, and see what they have to offer.

8/9 sides are $9.49 at Springfield Leather ($8.99 wholesale),

Goliger Leather has it in "A" and "B" grade. can't find my latest price list, but it's around $8.50 for the "A" in full sides

Maverick carries HO at $205 per side, but someone I know said that's "tannery run" grade (which is NOT the 'high' end)

Pfft they can shove that I doubt very much they will be taking business away from the other Australian distributors.

That is just more ridiculous pricing from the evil empire. but, some people will pay it.