KathyKathyKathy

Looking For Skiver Reviews: Cobra, Highland, Fortuna, Fav

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I make mostly handbags and small leather goods with chrome-tanned leather, usually from 1-3 oz. I'd like to buy a skiver but have found information and product reviews hard to come by online. Do you own any of the following skiver brands and if so, what has your experience been like with it (pros/cons, quality)? Would you recommend it?

• Cobra
  • Highland
  • Fortuna
  • FAV

Is it really worth spending more money for an FAV or Fortuna? Used Fortunas are really difficult to find and I had a friend who had a really bad experience with a used one, so am trying to stick to new machines. I have other friends who are also interested in buying a new skiver, so your reviews will be helpful for all of us! Thanks in advance!

Hi, Kathy -- I saw your request for skiver reviews, and I've got lots to tell you. First, there are a lot of us small-potatoes handbag makers in the SF Bay area, if that's where you live. I"ll try to figure out how to private-msg you to invite you to join us in our meetings.

Secondly, one of our group bought a Cobra skiver a couple of months back, and after a little tweaking that things skives SO BEAUTIFULLY that I'm very jealous. It skives pieces that can be fairly large, actually, acting like a splitter, as well as a skiver.

I own a different brand, and it doesn't seem to work quite as well as the Cobra does, although in all fairness it could just be that it needs some of the fine-tuning that she did for her Cobra skiver.

I've got two other friends (also in our leather worker group in SF Bay area) who own used Fortunas, and they're working alright, but it is fairly impossible to find used skivers. I know I would never sell my skiver unless I got a better one, like the Cobra.

Anyway, I'll try to figure out how to msg you to let you try out our skivers. Good Luck! Pepper

I use a Highlead model YXP-18 it works great. Not too difficult to adjust these machines and sure is easier than hand skiving with consistent results.

I also use a curved skiving knife "Acciaio" made in italy. I was turned onto these knives by a master shoe maker in Oregon.

Baltor and sons in SF carry them. Good luck.

@Pepper - thanks for tips and for reaching out, it's great to be connected to your group!

@ Kenny - Glad to hear your Highlead model works well, it seems to be the cheapest. Thanks for the tip on the curved skiving knife - I'll look into it and I'm familiar with O'Baltor & Sons. I have a straight edge skiving knife from Japan.