KelseyR89

Need Help! Plastic For Id Pocket?

Hello!

I'm getting a bit frustrated because I have a customer who wants a wallet with a plastic ID pocket and I have tried so many different types of vinyl and plastic and none of them are thick enough, so the plastic ends up bunching and gathering together, making it very wavy and weird looking. In some cases it actually puckered so much it pulled the leather in and then the pocket was too small!

The most successful thing I have found to work is buying a plastic ID badge holder from Hobby Lobby, cutting it in half and stitching it to my leather. The only thing with this is it's not as wide as I need (My wallet is 4 1/8"), so I want to be able to buy a sheet of plastic and cut it to however small or large I need. Does anybody have any suggestions?? I'll list what I've tried...

The thickest vinyl from Wal Mart

Sheet protectors

The clear plastic front from a binder

Seems like I tried one other thing but I can't remember what it was...

I appreciate any suggestions - I'm quite frustrated!

Hi there.

I use the same thing for ID Wallets and things. Go down to your local stationery supply shop and find the section that sells the protective cover sheets for binding systems. Get the thickest one you can. Its the clear plastic sheets that go into a binding folder, when they then use a circular plastic wrapper to bind the whole lot together. I just looked at mine.

they are Clear presentation binding covers made by IBICIO in China. they are 250 micron (.25mm) thick. size A4 and there are 25 sheets.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

A lot of everyday items we purchase are packaged in plastic.

I always save the packaging when I need it for a wallet id cover, I just cut it to size.

Works very well. So save your plastic packaging for future use.

For right now, what Trevor said is good plastic to use.

I've had the same problem with acetate that is advertised as happy little windows for I.D. wallets.

It doesn't work when stitched into place, I haven't tried it loose in the pocket.

i used part of a clear shower curtain. thick and very clear.i actually doubled it. it works great.

Any Fabric store sells bulk Vinyl in various weights by the yard. I just bought enough to last me a life time and it was in the remnants bin for $1.86

Go to a fabric store and you can get plastic of different thickness. Comes on a picture roll used to cover tablecloths. It works great!

Hello!

I'm getting a bit frustrated because I have a customer who wants a wallet with a plastic ID pocket and I have tried so many different types of vinyl and plastic and none of them are thick enough, so the plastic ends up bunching and gathering together, making it very wavy and weird looking. In some cases it actually puckered so much it pulled the leather in and then the pocket was too small!

The most successful thing I have found to work is buying a plastic ID badge holder from Hobby Lobby, cutting it in half and stitching it to my leather. The only thing with this is it's not as wide as I need (My wallet is 4 1/8"), so I want to be able to buy a sheet of plastic and cut it to however small or large I need. Does anybody have any suggestions?? I'll list what I've tried...

The thickest vinyl from Wal Mart

Sheet protectors

The clear plastic front from a binder

Seems like I tried one other thing but I can't remember what it was...

I appreciate any suggestions - I'm quite frustrated!

I just use the baseball card toploaders potective sleeves and cut my id windows from those (you can get two windows from one sleeve....they are very cheap. The brand is Ultra Pro:

http://www.atomicempire.com/item.aspx?item=43313&gclid=CIWEnpeducQCFYiVfgodGWQASQ