Slapped this together for my bro-in-law.

post-28258-0-32759700-1409169581_thumb.j

post-28258-0-66759100-1409169588_thumb.j

post-28258-0-34454400-1409169595_thumb.j

I like the filter. Is there a middle, welt layer at the cutting edge? Ammo, it seems we have each arrived at a somewhat similar approach (see my latest axe sheath here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=67380 ) e.g. thick leather & strong rivets backed up with a double line of stitching. Hopefully that is a case of "great minds think a like" rather than "2 fools with the same mind" :D

BTW AMMO I see you use the English spelling of axe, I thought American normally spelt it ax - which seems quite sensible to me. BTW the Swedes have several words for various types of axe including yxa & bill - perhaps the viking root of our words for axe & billhook/twybil. Kniv is their word for knife.

I like the hammered background! If I may ask how does one do that?

I like the hammered background! If I may ask how does one do that?

I have a cross-hatched teardrop backgrounder. Just gotta tap it a million times on the wet leather.

I like the filter. Is there a middle, welt layer at the cutting edge? Ammo, it seems we have each arrived at a somewhat similar approach (see my latest axe sheath here: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=67380 ) e.g. thick leather & strong rivets backed up with a double line of stitching. Hopefully that is a case of "great minds think a like" rather than "2 fools with the same mind" :D

BTW AMMO I see you use the English spelling of axe, I thought American normally spelt it ax - which seems quite sensible to me. BTW the Swedes have several words for various types of axe including yxa & bill - perhaps the viking root of our words for axe & billhook/twybil. Kniv is their word for knife.

Yeah, some people on here don't like it when you use filters. I guess they think it's cheating. I'm not too concerned about it though. I didn't feel the need to use a middle welt layer since I used rivets to fasten the two pieces together. I don't know if it's great minds or not, but if it works, then it's a good design - form follows function and all that. As for the spelling of 'axe', I guess I've always used the English spelling without thinking about it - spell check never questioned my use of it here in the States lol.

Nice. It's on my list of personal projects I want to do, but keep getting pushed back behind customer projects I have to do. Not the worst problem to have. I like the distressed look. Depending on how much of an edge nerd they are, a welt might be a good idea. Even if it's just more mental then functional. Mine will have one, when I get there.