Constabulary

Adler 167 - Timing Belt Replacement

A friend bought an optical quite nice Adler 167 from an insolvent company.

Unfortunately the machine is technically totally out of time and needs a new timing belt as it is quite brittle.

Seems it once was used as a binding machine. I promised to help him but I thought it would be the same as at my Singer 111 but seems the Adler 167 bearing at the hand wheel is not removable.

Machine has some more issues but I think w/o a new timing belt it makes no sense to do further adjustments.

Can someone give me instructions how to replace the timing belt?

Try contacting Bob & Bob at Toledo industrial sewing machines. He's on this site and his banner is on top click till it comes up I'm sure he'll help , always helped me in times of need I call on him when I need parts too seems quite fair on prices too. Gary

The bearing is pressed in there so if you can't get it out you will have to pull the top shaft out to change it.Which is a big job.

Edited by CowboyBob

Thanks Bob - so with other words it is possible to remove the bearing? Maybe I should try to heat the housing with a heat gun and try tapping it out.

Yes, it indeed is possible! I just removed the bearing carefully and have successfully replaced the belt. But I have to admit is is very very tight and you have to be very very careful not to damage the belt! I will add some pictures and how it works later.

I think this was the easiest part and now I have to take care of all the other issues :wacko:

okay now here are some pictures. I have not taken pictures of every step - sorry!

At first I used a sharp chisel for wood and tapped around the bearing, followed by a big flat head screwdriver, then I have used a more solid chisel and used it s a lever and finally I used a gear puller when the gap between housing an bearing was wide enough. Voila - the bearing is pulled!

I squeezed the timing belt through the gap between the upper shaft and housing - this was very very tight and I´m glad I have not damaged the belt! The Adler 167 has a much smaller bearing than the Singer 111 type machines. I used a splint driver to squeeze it through.

Then I have cleaned the bearing with fine sandpaper, degreased it and applied some Loctite 601and pushed the bearing back in.

For sure not the most elegant way but still better than pulling the entire shaft.

I think the "Adler way" is pulling the shaft but removing the pulley is much faster. It took me about 25 minutes to get it out and to replace the belt.

Now I have to go ahead and try to time everything (it already was out of time before I replaced the belt) and see what else is going on with this machine.

I will for sure have a lot more questions later... :wacko:

post-31854-0-95916900-1409586043_thumb.j

post-31854-0-65210100-1409586065_thumb.j

post-31854-0-74428400-1409586076_thumb.j

post-31854-0-87348700-1409586090_thumb.j

post-31854-0-24765900-1409586106_thumb.j

post-31854-0-36607000-1409586124_thumb.j

post-31854-0-68741100-1409586132_thumb.j

post-31854-0-03382600-1409586154_thumb.j

post-31854-0-26397300-1409586301_thumb.j

Good job!!They sure don't give you much room to squezze the belt in there do they?

You are welcome - hope you were able to squeeze the belt through the small gap. For me it was like a PITA :wacko:

When you got the new belt on did you have factory reference points on the machine's top and bottom timing belt gears (or somewhere else) to keep shafts synced? Looking over my Adler 067-GK373, I'm not seeing any factory markings.

Honestly - I do not recall. I have an Adler 167 service manual - look if you can get helpful information from it. I atm don´t have the time to cross check it.

EDIT:

file to big to attach - please send me your email address by PM so I can forward it.

Edited by Constabulary

11 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Honestly - I do not recall. I have an Adler 167 service manual - look if you can get helpful information from it. I atm don´t have the time to cross check it.

EDIT:

file to big to attach - please send me your email address by PM so I can forward it.

No worries. I have the service manual but couldn't find anything. Will take a closer look.

this post was verry helpfull when i had to replace the timingbelt of mij adler 169

when I did it again with an adler 67 I made some photo's of how i got the belt through the gap....

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

ther are no timing marks, but when you put the neelde and hook in the right position for timing the hook

you only have to put the belt on its place

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

Great info & pics ,should helpout a lot of people in the future.

3 hours ago, Michiel said:

this post was verry helpfull when i had to replace the timingbelt of mij adler 169

when I did it again with an adler 67 I made some photo's of how i got the belt through the gap....

WOW, Michiel! Thanks for posting these photos. I will help anybody with any similar belted machine do a changeover.

2 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Michiel, you would not believe how much simpler this is on a Singer 111 - guess how I know :lol:

Every time I need a part for an adler i think about you and your singers  constabulary

(but i still keep buying adlers)

On 9/1/2014 at 12:09 PM, Constabulary said:

This post was very helpful in getting me started on removing that same part on my Adler 169.  Thank you!   I wasn't having any luck getting a chisel or anything to budge the bearing though.  So, with no better option, I used a pipe wrench to loosen it up.  It scuffed it up a little but was my best option.  Just another tip for anyone out there who has the same issues.