rowneyart

Stiff Leather

I wondered if anyone had some knowledge of a product or method by which i could 'stiffen' leather?

I am currently making 3-dimentional pieces of work. Similar to 'paper cuts' but using 2-3 mm hide. The problem I am having is that when I cut out the negative space round my design...(in this case, a carved bouquet of grasses)...the stems are thin and the grass heads are too heavy and flop forward and down. If I could paint on the reverse of the leather a product that would make it stiff it would solve the problem.....Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Members.

Dry heat.

Lots of sunshine (if you can)

Rub the piece down in alcohol. Not the drinking kind. Quick process.

Submerge in hot water (about to hot for your hand) for about 5 seconds. Lay out flat. Too hot will cause wrinkles/shrinkage. They make armor with very hot water and leather.

Dry heat.

Lots of sunshine (if you can)

Rub the piece down in alcohol. Not the drinking kind. Quick process.

Submerge in hot water (about to hot for your hand) for about 5 seconds. Lay out flat. Too hot will cause wrinkles/shrinkage. They make armor with very hot water and leather.

...Thank you Red Cent, I will certainly give it a try and drop you a line to let you know how it goes...appreciate the assistance

I do a lot of 3d carving and when I cut the hair loose (should be about the same as grass) I brush blockout on the hair (enough to throughly wet the leather) and pick and shape the hair. When it dries it stiffens the leather and holds it's shape. I've got carvings around 8 years old with horse manes, indian heads, etc that have never lost they're shape. Rob Barr used this method and his stuff has been around for years and years and still look great.