imac1320

Selling Entire Leather Workshop

Hi Everyone,

Regrettably, I am selling my father's entire leather workshop. He owned and operated a small business so the list is long.

http://negativesplits.net/images/gallery/v/leather/

I will update this post over the several days to include as much information as possible (e.g., part numbers, item descriptions, manufacturer, and photos). There are close to 1,000 items, so I apologize ahead of time if I missed details, misspelled anything, or posted incorrect information. I am also happy to post additional information - please send me any specific requests.

I am open to selling the entire workshop if I get the right offer. I will also sell lots, so please let me know what you're interested in. My preference is to ship USPS flat rate since many of the items are heaving (and tracking and insurance is included). The largest items are the sewing machine and the leather. You can also pick up if you are local or willing to make the drive. I live in north San Diego county.

PS. I will continue to update the list of items as I finish pulling together everything.

Thanks for looking and Happy leather working!!

PM sent. Where are you located?

Hi Steadybrook,

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, I don't know how to differentiate saddle leather from any other piece of leather. Sorry. What I do know is that there is a LOT of leather! If you see anything that resembles it in the photos, I can take close-ups to help answer the question.

Thanks,

Ian

PM sent

Still waiting for the prices on the sewing machine and the leather?

I am also awaiting some pricing

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the interest. I want to post a quick update here and then I will respond to everyone that sent PMs.

• I am very busy with work during the week (Mon-Fri), so please be patient when it comes to email responses. I will do my best to respond within a couple days, but may not get caught up on emails until the weekend.
  • I am looking for a buyer to buy the entire workshop first. After a couple weeks, I will open it up and sell this off in lots. I hope you can understand the amount of time it takes to sort through all the pieces and handle things separate. It is also challenging because I don't know much when it comes to leather work, so it isn't easy for me to answer specific questions about tools, leather, etc. Again, I ask for your patience.
  • I am working on creating a price list by lot and will post as soon as I am done. In the meantime, don't be afraid to send me offers.
  • Please let me know if you cannot access the file that lists all the items by lot. I know at least one person had difficulty with this, so I am looking to post the list of items using an alternate method.

Best Regards,

Ian

Hi Everyone,

A quick update: I have someone swinging by next weekend that may purchase everything. If the interested party does not purchase everything and I don't have anyone else contact me between now and then, I will sell individual lots. This will be first come first served and I am keeping a list of everyone that has already contacted me. I hope to post the by-lot price list by next weekend.

Thanks for your patience and continued interest.

Happy Leather working...

Ian

Thanks for the update Ian.

Bobbie

I'm interested in some leathers thanks Gary

Hi Everyone,

Another quick update: I still have buyers interested in purchasing everything. Please reach out to me if you are, too. I suspect I'll have followed with all potential buyers (of everything) and will be ready to sell as lots in the next one to two months. (Perhaps just in time for your Christmas shopping.)

Also,I am still keeping a list of everyone that has already contacted me. Thanks for your patience and continued interest...

Ian

Hi Everyone,

Another (another) update: It's been a while since I posted. I still have the entire lot of items for sale and am still looking to sell everything as a group if I can get the right price. I am asking $10,000. I know this is a lot, but I have done a full inventory and feel the price is very fair. If I were to sell things separate, I feel I would be able to get more than this. Clearly, selling it all as a single lot will be easier.

I have been looking at options to ship and would consider using a company called U-Pack. I will pack everything in a container locally and the buyer would pick up at a location near your home. Rates seem reasonable for the size and weight. Buyer would be responsible for the actual shipping cost and we can work together to get the right solution for the right cost.

Thanks again for your patience and continued interest...

Ian

I feel your frustration. We have been trying to sell my father-in-laws business for the last 8 years. Unlike yours we have had to keep this running to pay the property taxes and other stuff. We tried to sell it all in one lump, "Boat shop in a box" is what I called it. We realized after a few years that that was not going to happen. Good luck with the sale. We have slowly started to sell off inventory in lots. Still not easy but doable and market value is not there. Everyone wants something for nothing.

If you decide to sell stuff in lots Keeps folks posted. I know I would be interested in some leather.

Nate - I really appreciate the note. It's good to hear your perspective. Perhaps I'll add "boat shop in a box" in my next posting! Did you use this forum or something else when you started to sell your inventory? This will be the first place I post if I decide to sell it as lots...I might even deliver to you in northern AZ. My old man loved his time in Arizona...

We are a boat repair and storage business. I don't know how the recession affected the leather industry but it kicked the crap out of the marine industry. Selling the inventory has been difficult but some went to other boat shops in the area, and I am in the process of organizing the rest to try for sales to larger companies. Its not easy, especially with a full time job on top of it. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

Well, my wife has finally told me it's time to sell things off as lots :) ... I think she is looking forward to making more room in the garage! I plan on breaking things up and selling them as smaller sized lots on eBay. I want to let you all know so that you can see when they become available. I plan on listing them with a fair starting price (although that's challenging for me to determine since I don't have much knowledge of leather work) and will have the buyer pay actual shipping. My eBay name is fast13205, so I recommend setting up a search for my name so you can see as things become available.

Thanks for all the support and comments over the last couple years and good luck to all of you!

Happy Leather Working

Ian

I want to let everyone know I am getting things listed on eBay (username fast13205)...it will take some time to list everything, but the first several lots are online.  Thanks for all the interest!

Ian