Does anybody else get dark streaks with Carnauba Crème?

I sometimes find that when applying it, particularly on undyed veg-tan, that a blob of the crème can cause a dark mark where it has sat on the surface, before being spread, even if it is only for the few seconds it takes to spread the crème over the surface of the leather.

Any tips on how to avoid this? I'd wondered about lightly dampening the leather, but this seems the wrong thing to be doing when you're just about to apply a water resistant finish. Or maybe thinning the crème for the first application?

Thanks

Geoff

Never tried the stuff. Immediate absorption from the leather I would assume. If the Carnuba is a sealer, wouldn't make sense to wet it first. Or would it?

When I use Carnuba I put it on a clothe or piece of shearling. I do not put a blob directly on the leather. As soon as my cloth or shearling touches the leather I start rubbing it around to get as even a coat as possible. It will darken slightly un dyed leather. After having had time to dry some have your streaks evened out some?

I do use a cloth to apply it, but it is during the first touch of the cloth onto the leather than the blobbing /streaking occurs. As mentioned previously, it is presumably soaking rapidly into the leather, with marks still remaining after drying. Maybe it's just too much on the cloth, so perhaps needs to be applied much more sparingly.

Geoff

Ian Atkinson shows how to apply it in one of his videos. I'm not sure which (think its one where he makes a watch strap) but they are all good to watch.

Basically once you start to apply it you really don't have time to play around. Dab it on in several spots quickly and work it in like crazy. I've had a similar issue with it before but i'm not sure if its the same as you experienced.

Tooling also causes some issues when applying. I have a cheap toothbrush handy to clean out the tooling marks a little and distribute it more evenly.

I usually get those marks when I haven't been spreading it fast enough, and have had too much cream on the cloth. I have since then put less on the cloth, spread it faster and give it two coatings instead of just one.

What other products will work as a top finish other that this cream?

Jus spray a light coat of neatsfoot oil before applying the carnuba cream. This way the leather will not soak the cream too fast and you will have enough time to distribute it evenly.

Just like you lightly spray the veg tan leather with water before using water based dye on it...