This is going to seem stupid but at what point do you need to make a new strop? Mine still seems to be working fine but it has gotten really black and shinny. thanks Troy

troy what type of strop are you talking about? for headknives or swivel knives leather? card stock? newsprint ? wood??

If think it is too smooth and shiny, just add more rouge to roughen up the surface slightly. That nice smooth shinny look still does the job, but maybe a little slower. Does more polishing, less cutting.

Tom

It's a leather strop. I use it for the swivel knife, petal lifter, skiving knife, etc. I was just wandering how much black and metal buildup was too much or can the crud get too thick? It's easy enough to make another I'm just curious at what point do you know their wornout.

If it's the flesh side and you want to rough it up hit it with a stiff bristle brush. I'll do that to mine occasionally. I have 2 that are pushing 20 years old. Used them on my regular knives before leather work. Now one stays on my table all the time.