Silverctack

Leather Hide Storage/organization

Hey there! I need ideas on storing my leather hides that is space efficient. I have Hermann oak full half hides and I usually have anywhere from 5-10 at a time. Then I have a ton of small 2-3oz hides that are only 1-3 sqft. So not very big but I have a TON that come in and out. I currently have them in a bin you can store under a bed, but it's over flowing and not working out.

My work shop consists of a large 3' tall cutting table (8'x4'). Then I have a wrap around work bench that goes along all the walls for half of my shop. On the other half of my shop (it's split in half by my cutting table) I have peg board along all of the walls so I can really store anything on the walls. I do have storage under the cutting table and the work desk but those are full. The only thing I can think of is to hang my hides from the ceiling? Any hanging ideas? Or any space efficient hide storing ideas?

My shop is only about 600sqft.

I want to keep mine under my cutting table. Actual experts may be along shortly, but I currently roll my hides and currently store them on a rack - a cheap shelf system in a closet. I'm designing a cutting table with storage underneath for the rolls; I just haven't gotten around to building the thing yet.

You do not want to store the hides in daylight/sunlight, they will be sunburned where the light hits them.

I keep mine rolled and inside a closet, dark cool, and dry. Also keep most of my hides wrapped in brown packaging paper.

ferg

ferg can I ask, whats the reason behind brown paper or is that instead of being baxed?

I have a couple questions about this...I have mine rolled up in brown packing paper, grain side up since thats how I got it from w&c. How do you keep it from getting sun tanned? I have a roll that some how a section got sun tanned. Is there a way to remove the sun tan or make it all even color? Will oxalic acid work? What about storing the hides in black trash bags? Sorry if this is off topic just figure better ask here instead of creating a new post. Thanks

My workshop doesn't have any windows lol. Thank you everyone! I think I should've clarified where and what I should use (ie. shelf) to store my hides. I'm not too worried about the moisture in the air, as the hides come I and out fairly quickly, but while I do have them I don't know where to put them. Any ideas about hanging rolled hides from the roof?

Not sure I would hang them directly... But you could easily make hanging shelves to store the rolls. Chain, wire racks (cheap kitchen racks would be perfect) and some eyehooks/bolts would give you a simple system to store rolls on. Make sure the wire racks are covered though, you don't want the metal to stain or imprint. I use a couple of old table cloths folded up.

You do have lights in your shop don't you? LOL

Some types of artificial light will have some effect on the leather as does humidity of course. Before making a decision to hang leather in the "open" I would do some technical research. This info is available on the Web.

You can hang the hides if you like. If you can put sufficiently strong anchors into rafters or such.

Many types of clamps available. Google that. Remember, you will have some damaged leather where the clamps are placed.

ferg

I have a couple questions about this...I have mine rolled up in brown packing paper, grain side up since thats how I got it from w&c. How do you keep it from getting sun tanned? I have a roll that some how a section got sun tanned. Is there a way to remove the sun tan or make it all even color? Will oxalic acid work? What about storing the hides in black trash bags? Sorry if this is off topic just figure better ask here instead of creating a new post. Thanks

I don't like storing much of anything except trash in plastic bags. Sunlight has a wide spectrum and can penetrate many types of material including brown paper. If I receive hides in rolled corrugated and brown paper I definitely leave both covers on. Again, my leather is all stored in a dark closet. I have two walls of my work area with lots of glass. I haven't tried Oxalic Acid but don't bet on it. You could cut the piece you need with the sunburn plus some not burned and expose to the sun for a day to see how different the patch looks. I am betting the already sunburned spot will simply get darker, just as our skin does.

Just thought of another trick. This won't work too well if you want to carve your leather. Use Neatsfoot or Olive oil application on the "Un-Suntanned area of piece. Don't oil the already sunburned piece. Place that in the sun for a day and see what the effect is. If you find this is okay you could carve the piece and then do the suntanning in the same manner with oil.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I guess I will have to move them to a closet. I might try some oxalic acid whenI get some I just didnt know if someone has already experienced it and figured out a way to make it work better. I might try and even it up with oil and sun possibly. Thanks abunch ferg

Head down to the local home improvement store and buy some 6' sections of 6"-8" ABS or PVC pipe. Some thin wire or chain and a box of threaded eyelets. Screw the eyelets to the ceiling at 5' intervals, loop the chain into them and slide the pipe in, instant hide hanging system. Just slip the rolled hides into the pvc pipes. If you own the place and can be more serious about hanging them, get pipe clamps and screws instead of the chain and eye hooks. The chain method simply allows you to hang them lower like a florescent light if you want to.

I too have limited space in my workroom, but store my hides on a plastic pallet. I purchased a used boat winch via ebay, to which I attached cables and pulleys hung from the ceiling. It is so easy to lower the pallet to eye level, make my selection then winch it back up out of the way. There are currently approx 30 sides up there. My leather is rolled and wrapped in brown paper. I have a small sample of each hanging from the ends so that I can quickly identify what is there.

Smaller hides of sheepskin, pig skin and kangaroo are stored rolled up inside 90mm plastic storm pipe, cut to 75cm lengths and bundled together under an island table on castors.

My working space is only 13ft x 9ft in which there are a Cowboy 4500 and a Singer 132K6 sewing machines, an 8ft x3ft work bench and shelves on 3 walls.

Cheers,

Lois

I have a 4' x 8' cutting table with two shelves in underneath, that I use to lay my vegtan out flat. The shelves are made of unfinished spruce boards spaced out so that air can move and avoid getting damp spots or mold. My chrome tan and oil tans are rolled and put into sections of sono tube (boxboard form tubes). These concrete form tubes come in sizes from 6" to 12" and bigger in 10' lengths and can be cut with a sharp Olfa knife. My goat and pigskins are just rolled and stand in a wooden barrel. Gump