anthonyg1382

First Paying Project But Not Sure.

I've only been tooling for a couple weeks and not doing to bad. A friend commented on a pic of a piece I did and wanted to know if I would do something for a 72 panhead he's redoing. I'm not sure if im up to doing a paying project yet, but also don't want to miss a chance of getting my name out there and possible more paying work. What would ya'll do?

Edited by anthonyg1382

Make sure your freind knows you are just starting out. He has seen a picture of your work and was impressed enough to ask you to do a project for him, so you must be on the right track with your work. It would be worth it to you to take a gamble, agree to a price and tell him if he is not happy with the result, he does not have to pay and you keep the item as a learning experince. If he does not like it make sure youo get as much information about what he does not like so you can correct it in the future. If this is what you want to do you have to get started someplace. You might also post some of your work so we can see it and make constructive comments that will help you to improve, alos give us an idea of the project and there will be people on here that can give you tips and all the help you can handle.

Edited by camano ridge

My philosophy on life has always been pretty much the same that Bill Gates used as Microsoft CEO.

When asked if he "could" do something, . . . he virtually always said "Yes", . . . then went back to his team and said, . . . "OK, . . . now HOW do we do it?"

I've lived almost 70 years following what he put into those few words, . . . has always worked for me.

May God bless,

Dwight

If you never take that step you will remain in the same old place..

Take on the project. If it doesn't work out, he doesn't pay. Either way, it'll be excellent practice experience.

It sounds like a win-win to me. You get paid for doing something you enjoy. Your friend gets something that he wants, and probably for less $$ since you are doing this to learn, rather than for a living(so far). Since it's a friend, you hopefully get honest feedback, and also hopefully get to track how it is holding up over time!

As long as it's not something that's incredibly far over your skill level, go for it!

Bill

Having just started myself, I recently did my first paying project. A friend had seen some of my projects & asked me if I could repair the binding & replace the cover on her Bible. Having only done basic construction of holsters & sheaths. I had no Idea how to do it. I researched binding books, created a plan, bought the leather and made it happen.

I only charged her for materials. It was a learning experience for me, and I've already had multiple requests from others to do the same for them. Word of mouth advertising combined with social media does wonders to get your name around.

I'll have to post the pics from that to the show-off thread soon.

Anthony, all the advice above is good advice so now all you have to do is "git er done!". Keep us posted on your progress.

Bob