mlbrew

Water Spots

I'm new to the forum, but hoping for some help. I made my wife a checkbook cover using Eco-Flo dye and Finish. The other day she got caught in the rain and the cover got a few drops on it. I'm not sure why she was writing a check in the rain, but now the cover has spots on it. I tested some scraps using two or three coats of Super Shene. I also tried some neatsfoot oil. The dye bled every where I put a drop of water. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I always wax items that will see wet weather.

I dunno about fixing the spots, but I read about lots of people having various and sundry kinds of problems with Eco-Flo dyes. I have never had any problems whatsoever with Fiebings Professional Oil dyes. Yes they cost more and are smelly and you don't wanna spill 'em or get 'em on your fingers, but they get the job done right first time, every time.

I guess Tandy couldn't realize a big enough profit margin on Fiebing's products and decided that they'd rather settle for their own line of significantly inferior ones. Fooled a lot of unsuspecting customers (again). :(

Michelle

I dunno about fixing the spots, but I read about lots of people having various and sundry kinds of problems with Eco-Flo dyes. I have never had any problems whatsoever with Fiebings Professional Oil dyes. Yes they cost more and are smelly and you don't wanna spill 'em or get 'em on your fingers, but they get the job done right first time, every time.

I guess Tandy couldn't realize a big enough profit margin on Fiebing's products and decided that they'd rather settle for their own line of significantly inferior ones. Fooled a lot of unsuspecting customers (again). :(

Michelle

Another unnecessary shot at Tandy. It's not Tandy's fault, or their product's fault, if a water resistant finish wasn't put on. Tandy will tell you to do that with their Eco-products. As a matter of fact, so will Fiebings.

Tandy decided to put forth a more eco-friendly product. The felt there was a demand for it. If it doesn't meet your needs, pick up the Fiebings off the shelf.

As for the original post, removing those water spots once the cover has been finished is gonna be really tough. Anything you use to mitigate the spots is also going to change the final look. Like Tree said, next time some super sheen or wax or other repellant.

Well thanks for the input, but maybe I should clarify my problem. First of all, I'm not concerned with fixing the checkbook cover. I know that's not going to happen.

Second, I'm not willing to write off Eco-Flo products or any other water based product for that matter. If they didn't work no one would use them; plus, I already have a lot of Eco-Flo products on hand.

Thirdly, and this is my dilemma: I did use Super Shene on the cover. After it got wet and spotted, I tested some dyed scraps using up to three coats of Super Shene. The dye still bled when I put a drop of water on them. I thought that's what a finish was suppose to prevent.

That's definitely what a top coat is supposed to prevent. Myself, I haven't had the same results. Maybe try the Eco-flo top finish, since they are the same product they may be more compatible for you.

One things for sure, since Eco-flo dyes are water based, they are going to be very susceptible to water.

Eco-flo has its uses, but it has drawbacks as well. I use eco-flo dyes for fine color work, but don't much like them for dying large areas. They're very difficult to get an even finish with over any larger space. Super Sheen and Satin Sheen, for some reason are not terribly water resistant, despite expectations for an acrylic. About the best finish I've used so far is Fiebings Resolene for water resistance (also an acrylic).

Check out this video. Ian Atkinson did a nice video comparing a number of finishes for their water resistance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM&list=UULkCG-505-1t0rYlgBTSnpQ

Hope that helps

Bill

Wow. Thanks for all the info. Guess I should have read some of the other related topics before I posted my question. I never new there were so many different ways to finish leather. The video was especially helpful. I've seen some of his videos, but I guess I missed that one. I think I'll be experimenting a little myself. Got my beeswax and neatsfoot on the stove now.

Thanks again,

M

Sorry. Just a typo I missed. I do know the difference between "knew" and "new". About the checkbook cover... I'm hoping my wife will be too embarrassed to bring it out to write checks. Wishful thinking, right?

M

No leather product is ever completely water proof, but some finishes do a better job than others. I use Fiebings Aussie finish on items that are going to be getting wet, but the main finish I use is Clear Lac, It is a lacquer based finish and will repel water pretty well, either one will be better than Super Sheen for protecting the leather from getting water spots. In stead of Super Sheen, when I need that type of finish, I use Mop N Glo and cut it 50/50 with distilled water, it is a very nice acrylic finish and a lot cheaper to by than Super Sheen, set them in a jar side by side and I can't tell the difference.

Sorry the checkbook cover got spots, but you can have fun making her another one.

Chief