Kansan

Hello From A Kansan In Texas

Hi, I've posted a few times but thought I'd make an official introduction. I got started in leather about a year ago after returning from a deployment to Afghanistan. I first made a sheath for an axe. It became something of an addiction and I've since made many more sheaths, leather curtain tie-backs, a wallet, a cell phone case, an over-strike guard for a tomahawk, a couple holsters, and numerous leather unit patches for my Army unit.

Leather working is such a relaxing and enjoyable hobby that I actually dream about it at night. I don't really have the time to try to start a business but my wife has posted a few of my projects on her Etsy page and I've had requests from friends and family to do different things. I don't know if I'll ever get into making stuff simply to sell but I might think about it more after I get out of the Army. For now, I just enjoy it for the mental relaxation. Also, I get too attached to my projects to actually sell them for what people would probably pay for them. The axe sheaths I make are probably worth twice as much as the actual axes they protect after you factor in the materials and my time (not to mention the numerous failed attempts).

Anyway, I've been reading this forum for quite a while and I think it's the best place on the internet for leather discussions. I also appreciate how everyone is so nice and helpful. I look forward to keep reading, keep working on projects, and maybe pipe up every now and then in the forum. Thanks for the great forum and I look forward to seeing everyone's work.

Hello and welcome back to the forum!

Thank you to everyone! Yohoho - there's a Kansan in California??! How did we ever come to these dark days? Just kidding ;) I lived out there for a little while too.