Tallbald

Al Stohlman Books: Which To Choose?

After some helpful advise from a forum member I'm buying a copy of Al Stohlman's holster book. I'd like to have a book that would help me start making handbags, shoulder purses and such but there are several published and a series of three which is a little pricey for me. Any suggestions as to which single book may be best for a budding bag maker please? Thanks. DOn

All three of the books are great. You could wait for them to go on sale, which they do occasionally.

I had been looking on Amazon. Are sales usually somewhere in particular? Don

Tandy stores carry the books and often put them on sale. Still, you may be able to find them cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

For anyone fairly new to leather, the Stohlman book, "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" is absolutely worth every penny.

The three book series, "The Art of Making Leather Cases" is (I think) what's being referred to in this thread. It's good but be warned that Books 2 & 3 refer back to stuff from Book 1 or 2. You're best off to get the series. Some of the stuff is BADLY outdated - camera cases for 110 film cameras, cases for CB radios, etc., but the fundamental information still applies.

You might check Tandy's library website. The Stohlman books are available, on sale now, for $9.99 a piece there for download along with a bunch of other books. I agree with all that TexasJack said. Sewing is a must, and the case books are good, but should be read in order. The projects may be outdated, but the ideas are not.

Also worth a look is "The Leatherworking Handbook" by Valerie Michael.

Additionally, Youtube videos by Nigel Armitage, Ian Atkinson, Arthur Porter, Tandy, Springfield and others are worth a look. Just realize that the Tandy videos are geared to selling their products .. But the ideas are still sound.

Books are good for some things, and very nice to have at hand when you are working, but some things are just best learned by watching. If you can't watch in person, video is the next best thing!

Hope that helps

Bill

Edited by billybopp