Woodentop

Champion Model D Splitter Blade Re-Grind

Hi all,

I bought a 'Champion model D' splitter in good faith that it was in working order with a resarpened blade, the blade was so dull the leather rode over/under the knife edge but it would NOT split. To professionally re grind would cost me around £60, too much for me so here is my alternative choice made with timber scraps and an old Xmas present. Not showing off, just hope it works after water stoning.

Cheers

John

post-44920-0-40345200-1410266306_thumb.jpost-44920-0-74380800-1410266364_thumb.jpost-44920-0-74059000-1410266937_thumb.j

Looks like it should work fine. Keep us posted on how it does. Hope it all works out for you.

Wooden Top, looks like you are on the right track, you will probably still want to strop to a perfect edge.

Bob

Interesting Idea for sure! I like it, and Hope it works for you, Be sure to let us know how it works out, I may have to try that.

You might google "razor sharp system" also, and possible add some of their stuff to your system.

Hi folks,

Thanks for viewing and your comments. Making this jig was the only way to hollow grind at home I could think of and still maintain a high level of accuracy. I finished the edge with 800, 6000 Japanese water stone and then with Spiderco ultra fine ceramic stone. Does anyone have suggestions for a final step? Please see attached images for splitting progress so far, my machine now works!!

Cheers

Johnpost-44920-0-94656500-1410378209_thumb.jpost-44920-0-75673200-1410378285_thumb.j

Once the blade is in, the most common reason the leather goes over or under the blade is not being positioned correctly. I have had this happen a few times. Sharpen a blade and get feedback that leather is going over or under the blade. There are stops that catch the corners of the blade. The blade needs to be pushed up against them and somewhat tightened. Relax just enough to let the blade marginally come back off the stop so it is not tight.