Tucker6591

Braided Halter

Here are some picture of a new halter I just finished up...

I used 4 & 8 strand round braids, a couple of turks heads, and spanish ring knots.

Here you go, hope there not too big.

2014-09-03181204.jpg2014-09-03181208.jpg2014-09-03181235.jpg2014-09-03181243.jpg2014-09-03181227.jpg2014-09-03181255.jpg

Very nice. looks hell for stout as well. Buck

Nice job.

Thanks yall, I'm really starting to get the hang of making these halters. Here is another pic of the next one that I've started. The color looks pretty wierd, but its what my brother wanted so...

I formed a loop with a 4 strand round braid and then finished to next 8 feet with an 8 strand round braid. I finished it off by using a 4 strand diamond stopper knot (not pictured) and then doubled it with the other 4 remaining strands,

The picture is a little rough due to the light, but anyway here it is:

2014-09-13160424.jpg

Not a bad color, it will make it easier to find his horse in the dark. Buck

Louisiana, I tie those ring knots pretty tight, so you can pull on the two ropes as hard as you can and neither will budge.

Although, this dam horse set back on the halter the other day and it busted the loop on the lead rope part, and also slipped through the ring knots. So its strong, but not stronger than a horse. :thumbsup:

Louisiana, I tie those ring knots pretty tight, so you can pull on the two ropes as hard as you can and neither will budge.

Although, this dam horse set back on the halter the other day and it busted the loop on the lead rope part, and also slipped through the ring knots. So its strong, but not stronger than a horse. :thumbsup:

Wow I'm surprised he busted the loop, Para cord is some pretty tuff stuff. I build some similar halters and have had good luck with them lasting a long time

Edited by Louisianawhipmaker

Paracord is only as strong as its weakest join.

Also, paracord will degrade to the point it can easily break if it's out in the sun for a few years.

Edited by 25b

Paracord is only as strong as its weakest join.

Also, paracord will degrade to the point it can easily break if it's out in the sun for a few years.

True but so is leather and rawhide. Only as strong as the weakest link.

We store all of our tack in a room in our barn so it would take many years of sun to degrade the paracord.

Edit: Nevermind...I don't really care enough about this to get into a discussion about it. :)

Edited by 25b

Btw...here is the next set of halters that I'm working on. I have multiple colors for the stripes and the first one I chose to make it the black/red combination.

2014-09-29121005.jpg

Platted a mecate rein with the same color scheme 22' long, next time I will start in the middle and work my way out. Too much string to fight with otherwise

Edited by Louisianawhipmaker

Platted a mecate rein with the same color scheme 22' long, next time I will start in the middle and work my way out. Too much string to fight with otherwise

Thats a pretty good idea for the mecate. I am unable to use that technique since I create a four strand loop on one end.

Edited by Tucker6591