courtney

Clanking Handwheel 45K25

My singer 45k25 makes a clanking noise when i get it going past a very slow speed,

i have tracked it to being the thread take up lever connecting to the flywheel, there is a little play between the flywheel and the body that starts clanking together,

can I adjust that space to fix the problem?

thanks,

courtney

Not sure if it will help you but you can adjust the fly wheel on the upper shaft. You have to loosen the set screw and then turn in the adjustment screw (which is in the center of the fly wheel) a little bit. I hope the adjustment screw is still present as it is missing sometimes. Don´t forget to fasten the set screw again.

Is it possible that the "clanking" comes from the hook era? That would be quite normal of the old 45K.

Thanks, its not the hook, i can pull the wheel back and forth and see the space close up and hear the clank.

there is a little set screw on the body, one close to the big screw on the end, and another behind the wheel, which one?

Constabulry is probably correct on the if the top shaft has side play the inside of the wheel will hit like that, loosen the 2-screws that hold it tight to the shaft just 1/4 of a turn & then tighten the larger screw in the center of the wheel (on the out side) to take the side play out of it.Don't overtighten the large one to much.

I cant figure out how to put pictures on here but I took the big screw out of the end and saw the top set screw goes to nothing, then i saw the notch on bottom where it goes, How do I rotate the wheel so it lines up? i tried twisting with my hands, putting a little oil and hitting it with a plastic tooling hammer

Thanks

There's 2-screws on the wheel to the shaft,if you get the other one loosened it should sin on the shaft,if not & we'll go to plan B.

Ok,take the needle out,find some wood like a 2x4 or something & put it under the needlebar & use it as a stop,hold it careful & turn the wheel which ever way it takes to get it to spin towards the grooves on the shaft.

That sounds like a very good idea, however...

during your last post and this one I set it on fire and beat it with a hammer.... I dont think I damaged it but I was able to move the wheel away from the body about 1/8", now it doesnt clank when I jiggle it back and forth...

but, when I sew without thread it is quiet but if I sew fast with thread it clanks, so... maybe it is the shuttle?

Nothing feels real wobbly inside the machine that I can reach. but if I pull the handwheel back and forth it still moves the take up lever, is it sup[posed to have a little slop in and out?

This handwheel is so on there I wonder if I would bend the needle bar before I unstuck it?

Thanks,

Courtney

The wheel needs to be against the body so there is no gap, when you get rid of the gap,the knock will go away.When your sewing & the takeup lever pulls the thread up it makes the shaft the wheel is mounted on go left & right.All machines with the takeup lever on the end will knock if there.'s side play on the top shaft.Push & pull on the wheel & you'll hear it.Also I know it's your machine & you can do whatever you want BUT you need to put the hammer outside far away from you,parts for this machine are real hard to find.

Bob,

Hey, guess what?, i went and did what you said anyway.. and it totally worked and it is no longer clanking!

Thank you so much!!

I am the most impatient person, thankfully I dont think I harmed it. your the man.

Thank you Constabulary also!

Courtney

Dude, parts, hammer.. I know... you are so right!

I was thinking about the hammer & maybe I shouldn't have warned you because I know where you can get a real nice shiney NEW machine that will sew leather.So beat away! :rofl:

Edited by CowboyBob

I think I need to work on my technique Bob as I tend to use a bloody big hammer on most old machines.

:oops:

I was thinking about the hammer & maybe I shouldn't have warned you because I know where you can get a real nice shiney NEW machine that will sew leather.So beat away! :rofl: