A Threepersons holster with the trigger totally exposed is "safe" if used correctly. I'm with Lobo on this one guys. Your holster construction won't stop somebody's bad habits/poor firearm handling nor will it fix them.

There's my 2 cents, it's worth just what it cost you :cowboy:

I wouldn't personally carry a striker fired pistol with an exposed trigger because I have read many documented cases of people carrying one like this and sitting down and something catches the trigger and the pistol going off like a jacket or the seat belt buckle in a truck. Read an article not too long ago where a police officer was visiting a school and child came up and pulled the trigger on his glock because he had an exposed trigger holster.

Well, I decided to remake the holster. It is bout half done now. The real reason for me was, I would rather know without a doubt than to wonder if the holter was safe. It was a little closer than I like it ont he trigger guard. that being said the real value in this lesson to me is in regards to the boning in o f the trigger guard

Thanks all.....big help

I dont do any boning on an IWB holster...retention should be set with the wearers belt...i know some disagree, but whe i first started making holsters, i boned in an IWB and when i put it on, i couldnt draw the gun out...due to the retention set by boning and my belt i had achieved a mechanical lock...after that, i just lightly block the holster and give it a good stretch after drying..even on my OBW's, i usually only bone the area on the front of the trigger guard...i guess i jst like the holster to look more like leather and less like kydex...just my 2 cents...

Lobo is right, of course. The best holster won't make up for the worst gunhandling habits. Check out the video of the fellow shooting himself in the leg while drawing a 1911 from a rigid Serpa holster. This has become so common that Serpas have been banned at IDPA meets all over the country. But the holsters themselves are perfectly safe when used properly.

So a good holster will not make up for bad gunhandling. But a poorly designed holster can make concealed carry more dangerous.

A couple of thoughts....

-- Holsters should be designed for the way that they are intended to be used. For example, why do we still make so many holsters that are canted when everyone today teaches a straight pull from the holster? One reason might be that it conceals better for certain folks. But be aware that it doesn't work well with most "modern" handgun technique.

-- There's a big difference between holsters for concealment and open carry, and between holsters for semi autos and holsters for revolvers. The Tom Threepersons holster was designed for open carry of revolvers. Carrying any auto with an exposed trigger is a supremely bad idea. But I REALLY dislike the idea of exposing the trigger on ANY holster -- the concept dates from the antiquated idea that you should get your finger on the trigger as soon as possible, an idea that today would be seen as negligent at best, and criminally irresponsible at worst.

-- Most big manufacturers use thumbstraps for one simple reason -- it makes it easier for them to manufacture a holster with adequate retention. If you put a thumbstrap on a holster, make sure you have a logical reason for doing so. As others have said, they're pointless -- at best -- on IWBs, and might be unnecessary on other holsters as well.

tk

"why do we still make so many holsters that are canted when everyone today teaches a straight pull from the holster?"

Because IDPA and other shooting disciplines require a straight hang or a FBI cant. And it is easy to teach.

Personally, I have carried and competed with barrel forward and worn just to the front of the hip for over 50 years. works very well for me.

People that want a cant (including me) want it for better daily carry. On a full size gun the but will show less with a cant.

Looks pretty good. Yeah there are certain refinements that can be made and that'll come with time and practice. The dye job looks good and even without any blotchiness.

There are some who like the offset iwb design.

Holster cant depends on what the end user prefers. But in general I'll make a holster with zero cant for field use;

JohnH_zps5c368895.jpg

Forward cant for concealed carry;

Pancake_zps4e9efa5c.jpg

And canted toward the strong hand for a chest holster;

mose1_zps93c1f8c0.jpg

Edited by snubbyfan