Windrider30

Question On Linings

Ok since starting back up on my chainmail I have been running into a few clients, more every day it seems, that have metal allergies. Some are allergic to copper, some nickel and two clients that are allergic to all metals expect sterling silver and gold (my favourite clients as its top dollar lol). I have been telling a few of them that I will be branching out into leather work soon and wondered what kind of items they would like to see and or buy, once I feel the products that I am making are worth selling. A few want collars (for humans not pets with four legs) and a few said bracelets to match the chainmail bracelets that I already make. So my question is what would be the best kind of lining to use on the back side of the collars and bracelets to cover up the back of the rivets, snaps, conchos and the like? Keep in mind that these items will be worn against direct skin for the most part, especially the collars, so would I need to treat the back with something just to help preserve it against human sweat or should I just leave it be? I was thinking pig skin might work nicely as a backing. All thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

The pic is just a small set of chainmail bracelets that I do, might even lay them down on top of some tooled leather once I figure out how I want to attach them.

post-54720-0-85560300-1411597542_thumb.j

I've used the pigskin suede for archery arm guards. I just left it as is but let it air out and dry after use.

Thanks.

I do not work specificly with just aluminium, I just work with a lot of it! and I do have one customer that is oddly enough allergic to aluminium, I have another customer that can't wear sterling silver, something in her body tarnishes the stuff with in a couple of minutes of skin contact. I have actually seen it weird as hell. The rest of the people that I have talked with that have some kind of metal allergy its either a copper thing (my wife can't wear copper) nickel or nickel plating (my lil sis can not wear earings unless the backing is sterling silver as any other metal even the so called hypoallergenic will give her earlobes a really nasty infection. That is why I am looking into what kind of backing I should use for bracelets and collars to cover the back side of the snaps and what not so that the metal does not have direct contact with the skin as I think that will stop the allergic reaction.

I make and sell a lot of chainmaille...I have other ways of handling skin allergies though...

Good luck...

Oo like what for the skin allergies? For the ones that I deal with that have the allergies I just test several different kinds of metals as I have a ton of bracelets of different metals that I use as show pieces, oddly enough I have not heard of anyone being allergic to titanium, which I enjoy working with. But I am looking into mixing and matching both the chainmail and the leather as I feel they both look nice togetherer.

You have customers that are allergic to aluminum?? Haven't heard of that one before.

Yes, there are people allergic to any metal that oxidizes easy. I just retired from the Military after 25 years and I am allergic to the actual red allergy tag. I wear a Stainless Steel Bracellet. I have a Ti plate on my neck and a test had to be done before the Dr would put that in. SS, Gold, and Ti are the only metals I amd not allergic to. I will ruin silver in about 30 minutes.