Hi, I've asked this question in the paints/ dyes forum but haven't had any luck.

I'm interested in painting designs on veg tanned leather for use in making baby moccasins.

I haven't ordered the leather yet and so have not been able to experiment with dye or paint options.

The dye would have to withstand the elements (outdoor shoe) but most importantly it needs to be non-toxic, should it end up in baby's mouth.

Some dyes/ pigments I've been thinking about - henna, annatto, indigo, walnut, pecan, beats. Has anyone had experience using these, or similar? I'm especially keen on the idea of using indigo. Since I'm using veg tanned leather, does this mean it would not have to be heat set? Any suggestions for oil to use? Obviously, I still have a lot to learn about leather.

I haven't seen any walnut dye available commercially; only recipes for making it yourself. I'd love to be able to find something in powder form- just add water. Perhaps I am totally naive about how involved the process will be- hoping to just paint it on with a brush like water colour.

Angelus leather dye and paint seems to be quite commonly used (I love that you can use it in a refillable pen). I can't find any information on the ingredients though.

Would love some advice.This is the leather I'm using (I assume it's unsealed) http://www.vegetable-tanned-leather.com/ecopell-kollektionen/ecopell-nappa

and the suede http://www.vegetable-tanned-leather.com/ecopell-kollektionen/ecopell-velour

and a pic of my moccasins (chrome tanned)

post-54592-0-02955400-1411959190_thumb.jpost-54592-0-93272400-1411959197_thumb.j

Thank you!

Thank you, DavidL. I'm still trying to figure out the ingredients. Will have to call the company. I'll update here if I find anything.

For anyone interested. I contacted Angelus Direct (they don't have a phone number but chatted online) and they do not divulge the ingredients in their paints and dyes. I understand about keeping the formula secret but at the same time, I don't like taking their word for it that the paint is non-toxic.The leather paint is water based and labelled non-toxic. The suede dye though is alcohol based. The paint can be thinned.

I'd still rather used a powdered natural pigment I can mix with water, if anyone has ideas.

Im unsure of natural pigments. You may be able to find the ingredients online - Every company is suppose to have a material sheet of the ingredients in a product that could be found online. It may be called MSDS or SDS, someone else may be able to give the actual name.

It's a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) they don't have to show it online but must provide it if asked to. Springfield Leather has most of them for Angelus http://springfieldleather.com/42/MSDS-Sheets/

For the natural powdered dyes you might want to try http://www.dharmatrading.com/ or a place that deals with wool dyeing.Just so you know just because it's natural doesn't mean they are all non toxic if you contact dharma trading make sure you tell them what you will be dyeing, specifically that it's for childrens products.

Thank you both! I was able to find some msds but I was only able to open 5 for free on the other site; so this is a great resource. Yes, the ingredients list is quite non-descript. Acrylic polymers, copolymers and colorants. Hmmm.

Thanks for the advice, cem. Yes, you're very right about natural not always equating with safe. the whole business is making me quite nervous!