KandB

Springfield Leather Company - That Time They Told Me To Get Lost.

So I just received an email from one of their mail fulfillment people telling me that because there always seems to be an issue with my order, I should no longer order from them.

- stop and let that marinate for a moment - they pretty much told a customer to get lost instead of striving for excellence in customer service as they claim to do.

I have ordered from Springfield exactly 4 times. 3 of those orders have had errors - and ones that could have easily been avoided with proper internal processes in place.

The first time what I ordered and what was sent were two different things. After some back and forth with customer support who actually spoke to me quite rudely and was combative, the owner, Kevin, stepped in and made it right, sending me what I required.

I judge a business more on how it handles an issue than completely writing it off when there is one, so I ordered again based on this experience.

The second order had two pieces of leather I ordered missing from the order, along with a big hole in one of the small pieces I ordered, making it pretty much unusable.

Again, Kevin corrected this and sent me the correct pieces, and made an effort to source some leather I was having trouble finding.

The third time had no issues - I received what I ordered.

My last order was ordered 3 weeks ago and still hasn't arrived, and has ended up in California despite my mailing address being in Washington. When I contacted them about this they wrote back and literally asked me what I'd like them to do about it.

I explained that as someone who runs a business when my customer tells me something hasn't arrived, even though it's usually the fault of the mailing system and not me, I go and figure out where it is and why it's stuck there before even responding, much less asking the customer what I should be doing.

To this, I received the following response:

"Obviously we’re not capable of doing business successfully with people that live in your part of Canada. In view of that, we’re requesting that you no longer order from us. We realize that you’re not at fault here, and I’m sure it will save much frustration on your part, and enable you to better supply your customers if you get your supplies from a more dependable vendor, like perhaps Tandy, or Oregon Leather. "

This response shocked, baffled, and downright enraged me - and not only because they used my geographical location as a thinly veiled excuse to get rid of me 'politely'. Despite my shipping address being in Washington, where I'm located has no bearing on the majority of the problems I've experienced with them - they've been errors in processing an order and things that could be avoided with good internal processes in place.

But telling a customer to get lost? And to go find a more "dependable" vendor? Why not strive to improve your dependability instead? I'm blown away by this way of 'solving' a problem - by essentially throwing a rug over it and pretending it doesn't exist rather than taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again and again and again.

If they screw up with me on 3 out of 4 orders, they are likely going to screw up with someone else pretty soon, if not already, so I hope in all sincerity that anyone considering shopping here thinks twice before placing an order, as you could very well be the next customer they decide to expel.

I'm not sure how it is that they offer 'excellent customer service' to some, and treat others like garbage, and much less how they've survived doing so; but the idea of telling a customer to get lost because they cant get their ducks in a row is appalling and completely the opposite of excellent customer service.
Edited by KandB

I have ordered once from Springfield. I also was not happy with what arrived. However, they immediately fixed it and sent me out a replacement at no extra charge to myself.

I will order from them again. Customer service was friendly and very helpful.

Just thought I'd post my experience. YMMV.

@Joe - they have done that for the two errors they made in the past. It seems I was no longer worth trying to please since instead of just fixing the error like they have in the past, they sent me the above email telling me to stop ordering from them instead.

My order also had an error but was fixed free of charge. The quality is hardly better than tandy.

Every retail leather business I ordered from has had a problem or horrendous customer service trying to prove your wrong before they even see if they are at fault. A personal attack on your business is also childish for a company to make..

Not going to name the company since its going to get deleted as they are a sponsor to this site but they were also combative from the phone and I had to trouble shoot the issue myself before they would re ship. They did fix it but I would have to think about it first to re buy.

I would say that I have ordered from them a few times a year for the last couple of years and I made a costly mistake once, called them to let them know I made a mistake on custom cut leather strips to just see if they could do anything for me and they were nice as can be. Sent me new leather strips with a prepaid shipping label for me to ship my mistake back to them. That alone made me want to do more business with them. It is unfortunate that this happened and doesn't even sound like the same company I've dealt with.

Wow!

I use them all of the time both on-line and going to their store. They have always given me great customer service in store and on-line. When I order online and need the leather to meet certain standards, I call them when I make the order. I have always been treated with respect, but I also treat them with respect even when they make a mistake.. Because I'm sure not perfect!!

Quality is all over the place. If your running a business don't let them be a liability to your company, they buy in 1000+ square foot to meet minimum requirement and about 30 percent will be C and D quality and they have to sell it. Okay for hobbyist.

Buy direct from the tannery and go for another retailer for supplies would be best.

I've had to "fire" customers before, both from my leather working business and my wife's restaurant. I'm sure it was not something SLC took lightly. However, there comes a time when you have to accept you can't meet a customer's standards, and it's costing too much money to try.

On the other hand, you've not been happy with their products on multiple occasions, I'd be looking for a different supplier anyway.

I have to agree with Russ. I too have had to 'Fire" a customer or two. I have also refused to do custom work or sell to a few new(er) customers. It is unfortunate that you are experiencing issues with SLC, I have had nothing but great experiences with them. Walk away and find another supplier. as Russ said; "On the other hand, you've not been happy with their products on multiple occasions, I'd be looking for a different supplier anyway.", Why beat a dead horse? Both of you will be happier.

I hate to point this out, but this reads like some young kids dating and breaking up. "I told her four times I couldn't stand the way she acts, and then can you believe she had the gall to break up with me?!?"

Yeah, it's weird, but it's probably all for the better.

I've done business with SLC for a long time and they've always treated me like a customer. I've always been impressed with what they sell and with their customer service. That being said, I wouldn't do business with them if I weren't happy with either thier products or their service, but for now, I don't have a problem with them.

Chief

I've done business with SLC for a long time and they've always treated me like a customer. I've always been impressed with what they sell and with their customer service. That being said, I wouldn't do business with them if I weren't happy with either thier products or their service, but for now, I don't have a problem with them.

Chief

Same here, multiple orders, never a problem. Every once in a while a backorder situation comes up, but even then, I usually get a phone call asking what I would like to do.... Wait or order a different item.

Chuck

KandB - I sent you a PM about springfield's behavior...looks like you haven't read it yet though...

Anyway, just wanted to let you know this is not new behavior from them.

I've not had trouble ordering from them but I ordered a 25 Key fob kit last week and made sure I clicked what I wanted since it was an online purchase. The photo was with nickel colored rings and rivets...what do I get but brass colored rings and rivets. Does anyone use brass colored fittings anymore?

Yes, I use or at least try to use only solid brass hardware. I like the patina against the leather as it ages.....

I've been a happy customer for years now. Definitely not their biggest, but I've never had a problem that wasn't looked into and solved right away. Keep in mind that SLC is somewhat like a Job Lot company. You get what they have and hopefully it's what you want. There are no surprises, if you look at the descriptions on the leather. Customer service is handled by humans and as such there are going to be mistakes. I've never, ever had a problem with their attitude toward me as a customer. But then again, I treat them with respect from the moment they answer the phone. If my order was backordered, backlogged or just plain late, they called me, left a message and sometimes followed it up with an email. If I was anxious about my order, all I had to do was call them and I got the answer. In a nutshell, I treat them as I like to be treated. FWIW, I am just a customer and receive nothing extra for my opinion.

No clue about this company per se.... I too have fired a customer before as well. Regardless of the reason or fault- it just comes down to- You haven't had the best of experience with them, and they have not with you. So, it is best to look elsewhere. If it is their usual MO soon they will have no custom. If you find yourself asked to to shop in other stores then maybe look at yourself- BUT I doubt it's the norm.

Never ordered from Springfield, mostly Weaver, never a single problem, several helpful phone visits with Paul and others.

Unfortunate. Sometimes, despite best efforts/intentions, things just don't work out. At some point, somebody has to say "enough is enough" for the good of all concerned.

Yes, I use or at least try to use only solid brass hardware. I like the patina against the leather as it ages.....

Ditto. I bought Sam Brown studs recently, some shiny chrome/nickel & some shiny brass. Also some press studs: antiqued brass, chrome & gun metal. I hold them against a workpiece to see which I think works best and most often I go for brass. Also got my wife to pick for a piece recently and she chose brass, without hesitation. Often, to me, it looks best & seems most versatile. I'll happily use nickel/chrome on black leather though. I haven't used the gun metal finish on anything yet - although I notice that top Swedish craft axe maker Gransfors Bruks use matt black/gun metal studs & rivets on most of their leather axe guards.

I love how people are jumping all over the OP here - 'look to yourself', 'teenagers breaking up' etc.. If this post had been about Tandy you'd all be chiming in on how terrible they were, how you'd never shop there again, how the OP was right to be appalled...

Did any of you read the OP? One order in four actually delivered correctly. One sent to a completely different address, one sent with incorrect items and one sent with missing and unusable items. That is not the OP's fault, and neither is the bad customer service. That is down to Springfield. The owner may be a great guy but it sounds like the people he needs to fire are his staff, not his customers!

Last time I had a wrong item sent out in an online order I rang up and they sent me a replacement by return post, no charge. That was Tandy, and it was a stamp. I rarely order online but I know I'm safe with them when I do as they care about their customers. If I'd received an email like this from a supplier I'd be telling the world too! It's just about the worst press you can give yourself, Springfield.

Before I make a decision if what they did was a good business choice I'd like to hear their side. I have fired customer from places I worked in the past. One gentleman was shocked. He never knew that his attitude was difficult to deal with. I am not saying the OP is this way but I'd like to hear both sides.

FYI "Fire your worst customer" is a good business practice. The time spent on a really bad customer along with the problems it creates internally with employees feeling bad about dealing with "that" customer makes it justified when necessary.

Again I am not saying the OP is this type of person only that there are times its the best thing for a business to do.

Michael

I rarely chime in on one of these type conversations but I had to post my experience. I use Springfield for most of my basic supplies. My high end supplies I get from custom makers. I order two or more times per month. I have never had a bad experience. On most orders where there is a back order, they will call and ask if I want to wait for the back order to come in or should they go ahead and ship. They have always communicated quickly and honestly.

I appreciate when they call and make suggestions on items of better quality or items where I can save money. They respond quickly when I have a question about products or technique. I am sure with a business of that size in addition to being mostly mail and internet orders there will be some mistakes, but I have never had an issue that they did not fix in a pleasant and professional manner.

If you can find a business that does everything perfect with no mistakes and one that can please the most had to please customers, let me know.

I recently ordered some buckles and some of the bronc halter nose pieces they sell. The nose pieces arrived and I was told the buckles were back-ordered and would ship when they arrived. 2 months later, still no buckles, was told they were a Tandy item and they were waiting for them to arrive. Went to the local Tandy and they had lots of them, at a better price. Called and canceled the back order, which I had already paid for and ordered some saddle strings. They decided since it was a new order I would have to pay shipping. Not sure if I will order anything from them again.