srbonner

Lacing With Rawhide?

I have a customer that I am building a portfolio for. He has asked me about the possibility of lacing the edges with rawhide. I have never done a lot of lacing much less lacing with rawhide. My questions are: (I apologize before hand if they are stupid questions!!) 1. Can this be done? 2. how do you protect the leather as your lacing with wet rawhide? 3. I have always heard that rawhide shrinks as it dries, do you need to lace it a little looser with that in mind to keep from messing up the portfolio. 4. Is there a calf or kangaroo lace that mimics the color of rawhide? Thank you so much.

Neva hoid of it.

Michelle

well, here is a link to buying rawhide lace:

here

I've never done it, but one youtube vid I watched showed doing a mexican round braid with it. Not sure if you have to wet the lace, but I wouldn't think so. With it being that thin, I think it should move the way you need while dry. However, I've never done any lacing- at all, so take my info with that in mind.

Don't buy that tandy rawhide. It's junk. Tons of breaks in it, very inconsistent thickness, pretty much unusable.

Do you suppose there is a good reason why you don't see many items laced with rawhide? If I had a customer who wanted rawhide lacing on something like a portfolio, I know that I would have to ask him just why he thinks rawhide lacing would be desirable, and find out what kind of misconception he is under.

If it is a matter of color, as your last question hints at; there are many types of natural undyed lace available.

If he is wanting some kind of "rustic" look, then perhaps a latigo or buckstitching lace would work.

The thing is, rawhide lacing is going to dry, and then be hard and stiff, and probably break at the fold in the portfolio, later, if not sooner! Yes, you could work some oil, or other conditioner into it..... but then, you no longer have "rawhide", do you