roys29

M1912/m1916 Holster Revisited

Here are photos of my replica M1912 holster I just completed. :spoton: :spoton:

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/other/M1912-1.jpg

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/other/M1912-2.jpg

This was my second holster; I made a 1916 model for my son. I took the original M1912/M1916 holster patterns found here

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=41199&hl=ghostsoldier&page=3

and made a set of patterns using CorelDraw. I converted the patterns to a .pdf file and posted them here. Please feel free to download them and use.

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/other/M1912_M1916.pdf

Common parts are in black, M1912 parts in red, M1916 parts in blue. Each page includes a 1-inch square to ensure everything is to scale.

The handle rest I made out of a piece of 1/2-inch thick pine. First I cut out the shape, then cut out the notch. I used a belt sander to bevel it width-wise to a narrow edge on the right side, then taper it from top to bottom. I then tapered the top from the top of the notch to the top of the rest. This shape not only forces the grip of the gun outward, but serves as a funnel to make re-holstering easier. For the M1912 holster I hollowed out the bottom to accommodate the leg strap so the handle rest would lay flat onto the leather; this is not necessary for the M1916 model. I coated it with 2-coats of polyurethane, then molded 3-oz leather around the shape. The rest of the holster and parts went together pretty easily.

The brass hanging washer I fabricated out of a piece of 1/8 flat brass. The original pattern calls for a rivet; good luck finding that! I cut out a very rough circle slightly larger than 1-inch. I drilled a 3/16-inch hole in the center, but not all the way through. I then cut the head off of a 3/4-inch female Chicago screw and silver-solder it into the 3/16 hole. I then chucked the assembly into a drill and with it spinning used files to round and radius the washer. Pretty cool, huh? :yeah:

roys29

Thanks for posting the patterns and great work on the holsters.

Holy Cow - this is a really nice holster. I´m a bit US military crazy an like these holster more than any other. Do you has a stamp for the embosed US on the flap?

Thanks for the pattern

Ok, I cheated a little bit! :innocent: I have a hobby table-top CNC mill that I used to mill the US stamp out of 1/2" aluminum. I purchased the mill off of ebay many years ago and use it to fabricate parts, gun grips, stamps, etc. It is a MAXNC 10CL which you can see here http://www.maxnc.net/product_p/maxnc10.htm . If you're real careful you can carve the US in the leather using normal leather carving techniques. Trace the US pattern onto cased (wet) leather, cut the outlines with a swivel knife, then use a smooth backgrounding tool to stamp down the background around the letters. Practice with scrap leather first! :spoton:

Edited by roys29

any chance that you can make a stamp for me - well depends on how much you´d ask for it ;)

I´m not really making holsters but I sometime come across some really nice original M-1916 holsters from WWI and WWII but some of the stamps are quite "faded" so I would be great to have a tool to give them back the original appearance.

Constabulary,

I'm not sure that would be a good idea. It's not that I couldn't make one for you, but my stamp is not an exact copy, it's an approximate, looks good to the naked eye, probably not the same size/shape as an original stamp. If you tried to over-stamp an original holster it would probably make a double image which really wouldn't look good.

I took the original M1912 drawing that had the US image on it, traced it with CorelDraw, then created the CNC code from that tracing; so it's close, but I really wouldn't want to overstamp a real M1912/M1916 holster for fear of ruining the original.

Roy, where did you get the brass rivet and burr you used for the holster swivel? Been looking around and found one place where I can get larger copper rivets and burr. but yours looks nicer.

Camano, to tell you the truth I cheated! :blush: I have a small hobby CNC mill at home that I used to mill the brass hanging washer. I milled a piece of 1/8 flat brass down to .100 thick, milled a 3/16 hole half way through one side, then cut it out 1.00 inch in diameter. I cut the head off of a 1/2 inch long steel Chicago screw and silver soldered the threaded part into the 3/16 hole. I then put the assembly in my drill and with it spinning, used a file to radius the front edge, and 400-grit paper to polish it. I used 1/4" eyelets on the two leather hanging parts which the 3/16" female Chicago screw fit into very nicely. The slotted head of the Chicago screw sets against my hip so it doesn't show, but the 1-inch brass head looks authentic.

Roy, thanks for the info. I was hoping you had a supplier I didn't know about. It turned out really nice.

Thanks a million for the pattern. I love that style and will post pics when i make one.

I have not visited the forum in some time but was looking to see if there was a pattern here.. Much to my surprise after 2 years the 1912, 1916 holster threat is still alive and well.. Kind of cool really.. Kudos..

Double Bar P