thekid77

Needles Keep Unthreading! Please Help

After threading the needles the usual way, thread thru the eye, poke thru the thread, and pull to lock, the thread keeps working its way out of the locked position and coming out of the needle...

anyone else have this happen?

Never pull hard on the needle. Once the needle passes through the leather, just grab the thread. I hand stitch and have never tied the thread in any way. I leave about 6" of thread on the short side. It's pretty rare that I pull the needle off. When I do, it's because I pulled the needle and not the thread.

Never pull hard on the needle. Once the needle passes through the leather, just grab the thread. I hand stitch and have never tied the thread in any way. I leave about 6" of thread on the short side. It's pretty rare that I pull the needle off. When I do, it's because I pulled the needle and not the thread.

great advice, thank you...yeah, I was pulling by the thread and not the needle, but the thread was really slick nylon, so there is a tendency for the thread to want to just slip out of the eye of the needle....

I was leaving a two inch tail on the short end....your suggestion of leaving more thread on the end is genius!! thank you :)

... Give this metnod a try. Thread the needle. Twist the thread (long portion)to separate the cords and make a "hole" right next to the eye of the needle. Put the tag end through the hole . Twist the thread (long section) hard against the eye of the needle and rub the thread back towards you to work the wax in as best you can. Make sure that you load ip the ends of the thread heavily with wax.

Not the published or traditional way of doing it but I find that it is quicker and that the thread holds on better for me.

I use the double pierce method with my needles, never could get the single pierce method to work well, the only time I have issues with unthreading is on the rare occasion that I use artificial sinew.

After threading the needles the usual way, thread thru the eye, poke thru the thread, and pull to lock, the thread keeps working its way out of the locked position and coming out of the needle...

anyone else have this happen?

I used to have this same problem. I watched a few videos and I noticed that they never tighten down their thread toward the needle. They usually slide the lock over the thread and pull it up an inch or so. Then they run their fingers over the knot to flatten it out. This puts pressure on a loop in the thread instead of the point where the thread has been separated. A longer tail helps too, if your knot does slip and manage to rest against the eye, it takes a bit more doing to work the thread and needle apart if you have six inches to go through.

I use the double pierce method with my needles, never could get the single pierce method to work well, the only time I have issues with unthreading is on the rare occasion that I use artificial sinew.

I agree with this. I mostly use tiger thread now, but when I use twisted linen thread (as opposed to the braided tiger thread) I pierce the threade twice.

... Give this metnod a try. Thread the needle. Twist the thread (long portion)to separate the cords and make a "hole" right next to the eye of the needle. Put the tag end through the hole . Twist the thread (long section) hard against the eye of the needle and rub the thread back towards you to work the wax in as best you can. Make sure that you load ip the ends of the thread heavily with wax.

Not the published or traditional way of doing it but I find that it is quicker and that the thread holds on better for me.

never did it this way, I will definitely give it a try! thanks for sharing!! :)

another technique I've never heard of...thank you so much for sharing!!

I used to have this same problem. I watched a few videos and I noticed that they never tighten down their thread toward the needle. They usually slide the lock over the thread and pull it up an inch or so. Then they run their fingers over the knot to flatten it out. This puts pressure on a loop in the thread instead of the point where the thread has been separated. A longer tail helps too, if your knot does slip and manage to rest against the eye, it takes a bit more doing to work the thread and needle apart if you have six inches to go through.

yeah, i think the longer tail will definitely give me a lil more room for error seeing as i was only leaving a couple inches before....i never really had the unthread problem with the heavily waxed/braided threads....but that thin nylon stuff just wants to slide off no matter how much i wax it....kinda like sinew...very slippery

I agree with this. I mostly use tiger thread now, but when I use twisted linen thread (as opposed to the braided tiger thread) I pierce the threade twice.

thank you!!!!!

Double pierce for sure. Works very well if you are having trouble or the leather is very thick and you have to struggle to pull the needle through.

double pierce here. always have. it works well.

Double pierce for sure. Works very well if you are having trouble or the leather is very thick and you have to struggle to pull the needle through.

A+ thank you!!

double pierce here. always have. it works well.

Thank you so much! :))

Nothing new to say about threading, pulling but but just a note. I am 70+ and started this in my teens. I can never remember having this issue. Here's what I do that I haven't seen mentioned. After tapering end with my knife against glass, I re-wax end heavily then retwist hard before threading, then after threading, then pull and rub end into body.

Nothing new to say about threading, pulling but but just a note. I am 70+ and started this in my teens. I can never remember having this issue. Here's what I do that I haven't seen mentioned. After tapering end with my knife against glass, I re-wax end heavily then retwist hard before threading, then after threading, then pull and rub end into body.

Thanks for the tips!!! :)

Just want to say thanks for posting! I was having the same issue the other day.