Hi all! I posted an album of a simple purse that I made as a first project, and mentioned I was working on a briefcase. This is my second project, and it took a lot more work than I anticipated. I couldn't afford a Saddleback Leather Front Pocket Briefcase, so I made one! The dimensions are all nearly exact. Other than some added pockets inside, it's nearly identical in every way, even the hardware size. Planning, drawing, making templates, buying stuff, and everything else probably took me 5 months. I researched every aspect for days, because I was so paranoid I'd buy the wrong thing or do something wrong. This forum has been instrumental in helping me, both in technique tips and places to buy things.

The briefcase is made from 4.5 oz Sunrise Wigwam Full grain chrome-veg retan, and lined in 1.5 oz full grain pig skin. The thread is Ritza 25 1.0 mm Tiger thread, all hand saddle-stitche. The hardware is 316 Stainless steel and the rivets are either solid brass or copper, so nothing will corrode. Al hard-points and straps are lined internally with polyester webbing, and everything is glued together with Weldwood contact cement. Here are some preview pictures but the full progress album is at http://imgur.com/a/38veR

6ifARpT.jpg

SQPxIY0.jpg

WOW. ..that is fantastic. ..GOOD JOB. .You have something to be proud of.

Came out really nice! I'd suggest spray adhesive for gluing the liner next time. I'm sure brushing on the Weldwood was a chore. Good job!

Andy

Wow, extremely impressive. I saw all your conversations and questions when you were researching this, and was curious to see how your bag would turn out. Pretty awesome!

Great work!

Excellent job! I've been thinking of making something similar. Your step-by-step record will certainly help when I decide to take it on.

Gorgeous! Where did you source your stainless hardware?

I sourced the hardware from a lot of places, some local shops, eBay, and some metal specialty web sites. That was one of the hardest stages, because a lot of stainless steel is 304, and I really wanted 316. I can try and find the web sites I got some of the D-rings from.

Really REALLY nice work! I've gotta try one of those sometime.

Bill

That is an excellent bag, and I hope you have many years of adventures past law school with it.

I'm a Net Admin for a medium sized law firm (about 25 lawyers) One of our founders has a Saddleback briefcase that pretty much just sits in his office all the time. I've considered copying it myself as it is nice. I actually turned him on to Saddleback as I have one of their iPad cases and he liked mine. Saddleback was also a part of the reason why I finally decided to finally try leather work.

Your briefcase is pretty nice. I think you will enjoy it more since you created it yourself and it will be a conversation started for people who ask you about it.

Wow that's nice , great job in fifty years wonder the stories it could tell. Good luck Gary

That's going to last a lifetime if not longer! Excellent work!

I re-read this thread while looking for my next inspiration and have some questions - 

How has the bag held up since you made it?  Over the years, did you find anything you would do differently with it or some improved construction ideas from your use of the bag?