Hewy

What Are Ways To Cut A Circle ?

Cutting a perfect circle, to make a disc is difficult. Other than a

stamp cutter what methods or techniques are known to do it ?

The size I want to cut is about 2" to 3"

I would have to agree, circles are hard to cut out. I simply use a string to measure or mark with, and then its up to you

A Head knife works good sharpened razor sharp, or, You might carefully use a very sharp trim knife, scissors/shears will also work,

But, Dye cutting seems to be the most useful idea, If you had a round dye the size you want to achieve.

However, I do Not recommend Rotary cutting for rounds.

I'm not much help, I'm afraid, I still struggle there too ! Good luck. ---- Wild Bill46

Just buy precut round coasters

I use an Olfa circle cutter if the leather isn't over 8ish ounces. If I can't have a pin-prick hole in the center for some reason, I put a piece of scrap leather there to stick the center pivot point needle (or whatever you call it) into. They come in about three or four sizes .. I think I've got the smallest one that maxes out around 3 or 4 inches.

Hope that helps

Bill

Nice tips on the tools. I like the Olfa rotary type

seems it would take less downward pressure to hold in place.

Thanks all

The best way is with a punch, . . . you can use a clamp to squeeze it down and cut the leather.

If you don't have a punch the right size, . . . get a piece of hard board or metal, . . . the size of the circle you want. About 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick is best.

Clamp it to a table, . . . with a cutting surface under it, . . . your leather between the circle and the cutting surface.

Strop your razor knife really sharp, . . .

Run your razor knife around the outside. ONLY GO ONE WAY !! I know it sounds foolish, . . . but if you try going both ways, . . . most of the time you'll wind up with a "tail" on your circle. Going only one way erases that, . . . most of the time :thumbsup:

May God bless,

Dwight

When I started doing leather work I started out making coasters and I used a really neat gizmo

that cut leather in perfect circles... much better than I could ever do by hand.

I got it at misterart.com ( right now they cost $22.85 and $3.76 for a pack of 40 refill blades)

It will cut perfect circles in fabric, paper, mat board, cork, leather, veneer, linoleum and most other materials

up to 1/4 in. thick. Capable of cutting circles from 3/4 inches up to 6 3/4 inches

and Includes 5 blades, 2 blade holders and a centering guide.

If you want to make even larger circles - They also make a Beam Slide Extender ($10.46) that allows

cutting of even larger diameter circles . The Beam extender is 9 in. long and can cut circles up to 15 3/4 in.

post-15330-053626000%201283766674_thumb. LION Ev-R-Round Perfiect Circle cutter

(You might also find this interesting if you want to stamp letters in a circle)

Hope this helps.....

Edited by LNLeather

Side note;

Thanx - 25b and Cheryl This helps me , I had no idea these tools existed !

Thanx to Dwight as well for your idea to cut circles.

I re-read my post to myself and thought , I never should have even posted Ignorance, Sorry guys !

I got a wing divider for the purpose of making circles, among others.  It still leaves room for error in the cutting, but the line it makes with a pencil attached should be a correct circle.