ArtifactBags

Consew 206 Rb-3 Walking Foot / Feed Issue

When I am top stitching a canvas bag on my Consew 206 RB-3, and go from 4 layers of 18oz waxed canvas down to 2 layers, I get 1 or 2 normal stitches, then my stitch length goes from 8 stitch per inch to 18-20.

It's getting hung up somehow and I've tried so many things at this point, I am ready for a fresh start. I welcome any opinions as to how I can resolve this.

I have several other 206's that appear to be similarly set up and they do not have this problem.

Thanks!

---Chris

Is the machine set to High lift when you are sewing?

shoepatcher

Shoepatcher,

The lift is set slightly above what is recommended in the Consew Service Manual.

I cleared my head and seemed to have resolved the feed issue:

1. When looking closely at the feed dog, I realized the teeth were not parallel with the needle plate. The front part was slightly higher. When the teeth were 1mm above the needle the plate, the rear teeth were level with the needle plate and unable to grip the material properly.

2. Not all aftermarket "consew 206" walking feet are created equal! The lifting foot that had been giving me problems only has a 3/32" base. My 206 machines that can flawlessly handle varying material thickness, sewing across thick rolled hems, etc have lifting feet with bases slightly larger than 1/8". This subtle difference coupled with the uneven feed dog was causing material to not feed properly. I've attache an image of the two lifting feet with different bases.

Hopefully this will help someone with a similar problem in the future!

---Chris

post-37790-0-13748300-1412714344_thumb.j

Edited by ArtifactBags