CustomDoug

Edging Thin Veg Tan Help ?

Do any of you guys have any tips or suggestions for edging thin veg tan leather... like wallet interiors, etc.? Anything 2.5oz or less . It almost seems like rounding the edge is a wasted effort sometimes. I do have a #2 edger but that leaves more of a bevel than a round edge.. I haven't bothered ordering a #1 edger because it seems unlikely that it's worthwhile because the #2 takes off such a small sliver of leather. Still though rounded edges are more professional looking in general. How do you guys handle this? Thanks.

Doug C

If the leather is thin enough ( about the range you're looking at) I don't use an edger. It's just too thin. I damp the edge, burnish, a little saddle soap and burnish some more. You just have to be careful to not put too much pressure when burnishing so that the edge doesn't completely roll down. That's usually enough to make it nice.

Hope that helps

Bill

At this thickness, it's floppy as heck... any good clamps to use? I'm thinking something long but with a good gap (bigger than bull-dog clips) for allowing more leather than a narrow watch strap has.

Doug C

I have a few strips of ~3/8" x3/8" wood with scrap leather strips and some moderately heavy spring clamps.

Bill

Thanks Billy - I got an idea after your last comment, to help hold the thinner leather better while I try to burnish. I was thinking that maybe I can leather wrap a couple of paint stirring sticks from the hardware store, put rubber bands around one end (left there permanently) and add a spring clamp around the other end (for ease of opening and closing). The idea being to install the edge of the thin leather (barely) exposed for burnishing. Thanks for the inspiration.. I'll let you know how it works out.

Doug C

Edited by CustomDoug

I'm working with leather in the 3-5oz range and have been doing research on rounding out the sharp edge from clicker presses. I was advised as well to forego an edger, and instead use sandpaper. Could be something for you to try although you'd have to make sure you have a good clamping setup. You may want to try a sanding paper sponge (e.g. angled sanding sponge), but can't advise a grit for your application, that may take some experimentation.

Then from there as Billybopp said, some paraffin wax + canvas could be a nice finish on top.

Thanks jpherold, I like that sanding sponge.. it would even be useful to wrap loose sand paper around when the sponge's grit has worn away.

Doug C

doug - i have had the same dilemna. i use my stitching horse. it was made for me by me brother. it has about an 8" jaw so i can put a piece of leather in it with just a tiny amount of edge sticking up. i edge finish as usual. it isn't perfect, but i can utilize it better than any other method.

yea, I guess my stitching clam could work.. but mine's not as wide and i kind of like the idea of holding these small pieces in a "mobile" way, that allows me to easily move it around and hold it in different light angles to see what parts of the edge need to be hit more. However, It will be my go to if my paint stick idea bombs. Thanks for the tip.

Doug C

On thin leather like that I find it not necessary to hold the piece up and do the edge like on thicker leather. The dampened edges roll "round" just by the burnishing motion,

(you just do one side at a time!)

#1. I dampen the edge lightly, use a piece of canvas with some saddle soap.

#2. Lay the piece on my marble and burnish the edge that is up.

#3. Flip the piece over on the marble and burnish the other side.

Using this method you burnish only one side at a time but by doing both sides it looks fine without trying to hold it up and work a "floppy" edge.

This works for me, you may give it a try. :cowgirl:

Rick

OK Rick, sounds like an effective method - I especially like the 'one side at a time' part. It's simple and I never would have come up with it on my own. Thanks for the tip! I shall try it.

Doug C

Try a rons tool #1 Montana ester. They are designed for thin leather and I can edge leather that thin assuming that it's firm enough.

Andrew

I've found that trying to use an edger on very thin leather is fraught with problems, the main one being that it is sooo easy to be going along an edge just fine and then suddenly for no apparent reason you take out a huge "divot," ruining the piece.

Instead, depending on the rigidity/softness of the individual piece of leather, either sandpaper or simply gently taking some canvas to the wetted edge will be sufficient to round off and finish it. With very thin or flexible pieces, I place the edge of the leather on my granite slab and burnish one side at a time as has already been suggested.

The next step of applying beeswax and re-burnishing can also be challenging. ;)

Good luck,

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit

Would you use the same method for edging an Oil-Tanned hide? I'm working with a 4 to 5 oz. hide and a #2 edger but I cannot get a nice smooth edge - lots of snags and divots. Suggestions appreciated. :wavey:

Try a rons tool #1 Montana ester.

Andrew

Andrew... do you have a link to these? I might put one on my list to buy.

Doug C

Since this thread I've ordered a Montana #2 edger, and it is fantastic. Craftsmanship is superb, performance tops, and you can tell when you first pick it up that it is a quality tool that you will have for a loong time. I called in and spoke with Toby (the new owner) and he was very helpful. I even got the #2 in, had some hesitations on if I should get the #3 instead, and he is sending out the #3 no charge so I can pick the one that best fits my application and send the other back!

I am using 4/5oz veg tan tooling leather and will report back on my size preference. #2 was great, but I think I'll want just a little bigger to help with the rounded edges I have on my pieces. Though I will say after the experience I have already had with Ron's Tools, I'll most likely get the whole set of Montana edgers over the next year or so.

Since this thread I've ordered a Montana #2 edger, and it is fantastic. Craftsmanship is superb, performance tops, and you can tell when you first pick it up that it is a quality tool that you will have for a loong time. I called in and spoke with Toby (the new owner) and he was very helpful. I even got the #2 in, had some hesitations on if I should get the #3 instead, and he is sending out the #3 no charge so I can pick the one that best fits my application and send the other back!

I am using 4/5oz veg tan tooling leather and will report back on my size preference. #2 was great, but I think I'll want just a little bigger to help with the rounded edges I have on my pieces. Though I will say after the experience I have already had with Ron's Tools, I'll most likely get the whole set of Montana edgers over the next year or so.

Hello,

Can you tell me how you ordered the Montana edgers? I tried ordering it and paying through Paypal but that wasn't possible. I was told to provide my credit card details which I am not comfortable with. I live in the UK. Let me know how you placed your order if possible. Thank you