I hate glue. I highly recommend a product called Wonder Tape for holding pieces together while stitching: http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Tape-1-4-x10-Yards/dp/B001IKEOE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412861119&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder+tape. Don't get it on Amazon, though-- it can be had for <$3 a roll. I hope this helps someone!

And where would one find it for the lower price than Amazon? That link would be highly beneficial for others to use as a comparison.

...or 60 yards of 1/4" from http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm/pid/8677/Leather-Tape-1-4-x-60-yds/ for $4.75. They also have 1/2 tape.

Bob Stelmack

Tandy sells it now, Springfield sells it, and you can also get it fro Sailrite in different widths, you can even get it at Joann's but be sure to use a 40% of coupon.

Karina

Thank you both! Do you have any personal experience with those products? My main concern is that they would be TOO sticky. Are they see-through? Are they water soluble? Another thing I like about the wonder tape is I can wipe off any extra bits with water after stitching. Would love to hear about your first hand experience with one of these cheaper tapes

...or 60 yards of 1/4" from http://www.wawak.com/products/product.cfm/pid/8677/Leather-Tape-1-4-x-60-yds/ for $4.75. They also have 1/2 tape.

This tape does not wash away. It does not interfere with machine stitching. It is not completely clear (slightly cloudy depending on the surface), but it is normally inside a stitch line where it can't be seen. It is a strong adhesive and holds well for sewing construction. I normally don't use water after sewing. The extra bits can be rubbed of smooth surfaces. It does not work well with lacing because the rough side of the lace can pick up bits of the tape which make the lacing drag a bit, but you can rub off the extra as you move along.

Hope this helps.

Would you use this tape for constructing sheaths and holsters?

You could, but that would put most of the stress on the stitching itself. For something that needs to be "tough",you should glue and sew. What this tape is good for is holding stuff together until its sewn. Its on par with rubber cement, it will stick together, but you can still pull it apart easily.

Chuck

Got it! Thanks