srbonner

Rawhide Lacing?

I have two questions for you guys and gals. 1. I have been told not to buy Tandy rawhide lacing, which I did before I saw the response. Yes, it is way not consistent. Where should I buy it from? 2. Can you run it through a splitter to even it out. Thank you.

Your best bet is to buy it from an established braider like Gail Hought or Bryan Nuebert, Nate Wald.

If you google rawhide lacing you should get some results. They will make it the size and thickness that you want.

The best thing to do is to learn to make your own lace. This gives you control over the sizing and is a lot cheaper, but does take some time to make the lace. It took me three hours to cut, split and bevel the strings for my latest hobble project. The more string you make the better you will get in a relatively short time.

I used to buy rawhide disc maybe 36" round and then make my lace from that. But the source for those disc has closed down and I think it best that I now learn how to make my own rawhide straight from the cow. I'm sure that I will ruin a few hides learning but in the long run I will be able to provide myself with all the string I will ever need.

Wish me luck!