Hi all, I'm in the market for a free arm cylinder for sewing my leather bags. I definitely want a walking foot, and came across the SEW LINE 2603 (or 2605) CYLINDER WALKING FT with REVERSE on ebay for $1300. Ive never heard of the brand, and of course it's less expensive than the juki's and consews, which is ideal for my "starter machine" budget is under $1500. It would be my first free arm- right now I have a Singer 211G. I want to make sure its a decent investment for the price.... thoughts!? Thanks everyone!

Get a cowboy 3200 It's only $300 more and you will get Bob & Bobby as servicing dealers., well worth the extra money. They will set it up for you for what you want to sew. Love mine.

Without knowing a lot more a I immediately suspect you are getting a machine in the box as it arrives from China. Best of luck.

Without knowing a lot more a I immediately suspect you are getting a machine in the box as it arrives from China. Best of luck.

I've been chatting with the seller who is in North Carolina, so it's not fresh from China from what I can tell? Altho you can never be to sure with ebay. Aren't most machines made in China these days unfortuantely? I'm trying to figure out how well (or not well) the machine performs, so if anyone knows, I'd love to hear ....

Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221574967777?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Get a cowboy 3200 It's only $300 more and you will get Bob & Bobby as servicing dealers., well worth the extra money. They will set it up for you for what you want to sew. Love mine.

Thanks for the tip- I have been looking into the Cowboy line as well. Bob is great.

I read the listing and noticed this important declaration:

This is a new machine factory packaged in original box with new accessories and instruction manual.

It doesn't say if they have opened that original "factory" box and setup or tested the machine. You better ask them before buying it. I would not assume anything.

The service and expertise you would gain for the extra $ by purchasing a Cowboy from Toledo sewing is well worth it. The guys there set my machine up for exactly what I was going to be doing with it. The time saved right there is worth the extra IMHO. Also, Bob and Bobby are always there to help if needed down the road. Just my 2cents.

I bet that machine is 300$ less than a Cowboy because it hasn't been setup properly to sew leather which is what distinguishes guys like techsew, cowboy, and cobra sewing machines.

The listing said 8 available. What you will get is a brand new machine from china that has not been set up or ever sewn with since it left the factory. It may sew just fine or not at all. You may find broken or missing parts. It may be out of time or other adjustment. You may find loose screws. It will need to be cleaned up of shipping goo and oiled, and adjusted for leather work as it left the factory to sew textiles. How do I know this? I just did one. If you are good with sewing machines both sewing and repairing you might save a little money. You might be able to have it sewing in a few days.

The dealers on this site earn every penny they get.

I want to be sure I understand correctly. Ordering from Toledo, they set it up before they ship it?

I don't have a leather sewing machine from Sew Line, but I did purchase a portable blind-hemmer from them. It is the same exact machine as a Consew and a couple of other makers, just with a Sew Line label on it, and at quite a reduced price from the other brands. It came in the factory box, was lubed and worked out of the box with no issues. It had a sew-off sample still mounted on the machine when I received it. So, I expect that the machine you are looking at is the same as several other brand name machines, with the Sew Line label on it. The Sew Line people were easy to deal with. As I do my own setup and maintenance, that would not be an issue for me. ymmv. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them, as I think there machines are the same as many other brands and at a savings. I will add that if you do not do your own setup and maintenance, the difference in price you are talking about for the Cowboy would be worth the support you would get, if needed.

Edited by GerryR

Toledo will completely go over the machine. Take care off anything that needs to be done. Adjust it for the size thread and leather you want to use. Then they pack it up and send it to you. You will need to mount the machine on the table. along with the motor and thread stand etc. It will have a piec of leather they used to test it still in the machine with the thread still in the thread path.

I looked at sewline before deciding to go with a CB3200 from Ryan at Neel's Saddlery.

Don't forget that all of the presser feet on the Cowboy are stainless steel, not to mention that Ryan set up the forward and reverse so that the needle enters the same holes... critical in sewing leather. These two facts alone justify the extra $300. My machine came sewing perfectly from stitch one and hasn't missed a beat since.

There is no way I'd buy a machine that I had to set up and sew off myself.

I read the listing and noticed this important declaration:

This is a new machine factory packaged in original box with new accessories and instruction manual.

It doesn't say if they have opened that original "factory" box and setup or tested the machine. You better ask them before buying it. I would not assume anything.

Thanks everyone. Toldeo is great, I've bought from them before so I'll probably go there for the 3200. I did just run across this really old Con-Sew, which the author says is " Consew 17-16 very nice old machine. Perfect working order. Serviced 5 months ago. Single needle. Sews heavy duty fabric no problem. Also has reverse. Selling because I've upgraded. Call anytime. Machine is ready to go and can be tested out. " I can't find anything about the 17-16, does anyone know if it's just a simple straight stitch, or walking foot? Of course I need to ask if it has servo motor. Wondering if this is a good deal? If so, I'll snatch it up as a backup machine!

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/for/4720656908.html

consew.jpg

I bought a Sailxxxx, from Sailxxxx, and it doesn't backstitch worth a darn. I just mention it, because while I am not happy about that one aspect, and they did nothing through opening a case for it, they are probably the outstanding importer of Asian machines that provides domestic support for them. Truly the leaders in the industry. And it is a wonderful machine I bought it originally to sew sails, possibly to use onboard. But as a table top machine, would I be worse off with a Sew-line, set up for servo motor? Much of the time I wouldn't be worse off with the 20 dollar 95k40, that I bought off ebay, hooked up to a servo motor.

The other problem I had with the Sailxxxx, my bad sorta, it is sucked some light material into the motor which is now really loud. It is obviously designed to sew very light spinnaker material, so whether they should jam at the sight of it is another mater. They offered to sell me a new motor, but I will probably buy a servo instead.

I also have a Coxxx, that is about 18 months old. It has missing parts from the original order; parts that didn't fit the machine ended up damaging it; and I have never been able to get the needle positioning to work, for which there isn't any online support or written material. At this point, and this is the great news, I love it so much I really haven't followed up from my end either. Follow up on both ends has been inadequate.

I have an import welder that has some problems also.

What this all comes down to is a mode of modern business. Major manufacturers go out of business; Their speciality staff or something, starts an import business, and gets a great rep for their service. But business is really local. I remember reading a study of LLBean years ago when they were already huge, and it pointed out that despite being the model for fulfilment for many manufacturers, they still did the majority of their business locally. As good as these small shops are, they often come down to one person who really knows what they are doing, and there are still problems.

If you can't easily return the machine or get local service. It is questionable how much premium you should pay for something that may end up causing trouble wherever you get it from. This is just a reality, I think prices are falling as a result of it. Or if you disbelieve that, there may not be anything magical that stops someone else from starting up in competition, there are quite a few sewing machine repairmen around who aren't doing anything these days. In my case I just assume I am on my own, and buy accordingly. I have improved both of my big name machines because I own a lathe and mill. In quilting one of the hot machines is the Featherlite, and the celebrity tech sell videos not machines. People that buy the Featherlite often learn how to take care of them themselves, That is probably the best approach.

Edited by Massive

On 10/17/2014 at 9:36 PM, pcox said:

Prices must have really went up since then. If Bob could sell me a 3200 at $1600 I’d be there today. Last I heard he was over $2100 for a 3200.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, Tlogan said:

Prices must have really went up since then. If Bob could sell me a 3200 at $1600 I’d be there today. Last I heard he was over $2100 for a 3200.

Chinese Tariffs hit these clones machines pretty hard. Im not sure how the new trade deal with China will change the prices in the future.